Volvo/'87 Volvo losses fuel/power under load

Hi Robert
Right now I'm driving my car around with the gas cap off. I had been driving down the highway a hit the gas for passing gear - nothing - I had to limp over to the side of the road.

My in-tank fuel pump has been out for quite a while - I keep it at more than have full. I can still drive it - even on the highway - very carefully. Been like this for a week now

you did not say if this is a turbo or not .The prepump helps with delivery seeing that the main pump is so far away from the tank .So i would get that fixed ,as for the lack of power does it buck or surge when this happens or just has no power ,does it stall. There may be a mass air flow issue but i will need a little more info even if you keep the tank past 1/2 full the prepump needs to deliver to the main pump ,hope this helps ..

robert white

I can answer any kind of Volvo question to do with automotive repair on Volvo from mid 1980s to present .

30 plus years Volvo experience and have been in the automotive industry my whole life

schooled in uk went to south London tech city and guilds in automotive science and masters in electrical engineering .