Volvo/2003 Volvo S80

Question
Recently purchased S80 and had diagnostic completed with authorized mechanic here in Philadelphia.  There are undiagnosed electrical issues-someone bypassed engine fan with wire and switch same with heater fan.  Other than this (too expensive to explore with this mechanic) engine and major operations deemed in good shape. 141K miles-3 previous owners all under lease.
 Car will not start.  Battery has been checked.  A guess has been made that the starter needs to be replaced?  Prior to purchasing a starter "in the dark" what would you suggest?  Thanks

Answer
It sounds like someone has been in this vehicle bypassing issues that come up without fixing them properly .My first feeling would be to sell it before it becomes a anchor that may drown you in the future .These are pretty good vehicles the early network cars have there issues and can get really expensive to repair .They have CEM issues that give power to many other control units and many other issues .As well as this it is hard to no what else is lurking in this volvo that has been patched up ,as for the starter it is a easy check if it has battery power and when you turn the key 12v from the ignition to the solenoid then ,then that is it ,other issues like immobilizer at this point should not stop it from cranking just starting .Hope this helps ..

Volvo

robert white