Volvo/2001 Volvo xc70 cold hard start with white smoke

I have a 2001 Volvo xc70 that I have a hard time starting cold and when it finally starts after 10-15 tries, a lot of white smoke comes from tailpipe. Once it clears out the car drives absolutely fine and  I do not have any problems with the temperature getting hot. If I run into a store and come out it will start but if I am somewhere for hours then try to start it I have the same issue.

Possible that you have a leaking injector ,you say white smoke ,do you  need to top up the coolant or does it stay where it should .It is possible that you may have a coolant leak .Do you smell any sweet smell when you do get it started .Pulling the spark plugs may show a issue or having a cylinder leak down test .Usually a compression test will not give you any information but is a good idea.If the vehicle has ever been over heated then i would start looking this direction .Hope this gives you a direction .

robert white

I can answer any kind of Volvo question to do with automotive repair on Volvo from mid 1980s to present .

30 plus years Volvo experience and have been in the automotive industry my whole life

schooled in uk went to south London tech city and guilds in automotive science and masters in electrical engineering .