Volvo Repair/1998 Volvo S70 (108,000 mi) stalls while sitting idling in traffic

ryan wrote at 2008-02-15 03:13:48
tell your mechanic to check your mass air flow meter. this sounds just like the problem i was having a few months ago with my 1998 S70 t-5 (140k miles).

greg wrote at 2008-02-15 21:11:02
I had this same issue.  1998 Volvo 760 Turbo with 230F engine.  I popped the hood and found a loose vacuum line.  Reconnected it and problem seems to be fixed.  Then decided to verify idle and timing.  My manual gives first step for timing as "Disconnect distributor cap vacuum line" yet my system is magnetic and has no vacuum line so I'm off to find a properly written test procedure.  If you have one please e-mail to TEX-SLIM AT HOTMAIL DOT COM with, of course, the proper substitutions for the AT and the DOT and no spaces as you know.

I think if you verify your vacuum and have your idle and timing checked you might find that it's fixed - or if not when was your last tune-up?  Check your battery voltage too.  Low voltage seems to be a potenial cause perhaps.

JN wrote at 2008-02-29 02:53:16
My 98' S70 was doing the same thing a while back. Turned out it was the mass air flow sensor, which should show up on a diagnostic tester (OBD-II) as an error code. I'm sure that's the first thing the dealership checked, but no error codes on yours? Strange. Might also be that your battery is weak from a failing alternator, (my latest issue)....Sometimes a low voltage situation will cause the ABS light to come on. Usually goes out after a few minutes though.

Ramsey wrote at 2008-02-29 22:20:45
Check with a Volvo dealer.  My 2000 S70 had the same problem and there was a recall on a part that controls the idle and it was replaced under the recall.

Larry in Phoenix wrote at 2008-03-30 05:53:03
I have exactly the same problem as Karen with my 1998 S70 T5 with 144,000 miles. It stalls at idle intermittently at stop signs or just while idling in traffic and does so 3-4 times per day. It has always restarted without problems. I took it to the dealer who kept it for 2 weeks. They found no error codes but replaced the battery and ignition switch. It continues to stall. I will have my mechanic check the mass air flow sensor again. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Asikabulu wrote at 2009-09-20 16:21:35
I had exactly the same problem as Karen with my 1998 S70 T5 with 164,000 miles. It stalls at idle intermittently at stop signs or just while idling.

Replaced the fuel filter(problems continued); filled the gas tank and added fuel injector cleaner(problem continued); finally disconnected the MAF(problem went away). I did a continuity check with my Ohmeter(resistance checker) - dod not read "0" ohms between pins 2 and 3. Replaced with a remanifatured($130 with core from Autozone) - problem solved.

Matt wrote at 2011-04-02 15:27:11
Karen,

What did you end up finding out about your volvo? My guess is MAS, MAF, Fuel Pump Relay, or Fuel Pump.

Tyeler wrote at 2013-01-29 21:08:18
My 98 Volvo S70 Glt, stalled and wouldnt restart during the dead of winter in Ct. It was -5 with the wind chill at 8pm after work. They ended up changing the spark plugs an it finally started. I went to get my car then I felt it about to stall, I turned right around. Come to find out the distributor cap broke in half an affected the rotor plus wires. I commute almost 70mile per day to work an home, I put over 30,000 miles on my S70 in a year. Everyone's car breaks down sooner then later, but I'm proud to say I'm almost to 200,000miles. 196,000!! I love volvos even though their expensive to fix I wouldn't own any other make besides Volvo!!

Tyeler wrote at 2013-01-29 21:08:23

Volvo Repair

Roger Patricio