Walking/POWER UP

Question
(This is not a spam or a homework question)
I have a disability called cerebral palsy and use crutches to walk, so I was wondering would you please explain to me in a easy way that I can understand: why do I use up more energy then normal abled people?

Answer
I did a little research, enough to know the cerebral palsy condition is way beyond my expertise. So I can't address your problem from that direction.

However, walking with crutches definitely takes more energy than normal walking. You would think that because you can lean on the crutches, it takes some of your body weight off of your legs and that should reduce the energy of walking. But all that does is shift the energy use from your legs to your upper body. Most people have stronger legs than upper body, but that is still not the issue.

It comes down to efficiency. Human walking is an extremely efficient way to move, meaning one uses the least amount of energy in getting from point A to point B, compared to any other way of getting there under your own power. That includes using crutches.

So it turns out that crutch use is less natural and that means it take more energy to use them.

I hope that is enough detail for you. There may be other things involving your condition, but I have to stick to biomechanical concepts.

Walking

Scott Demaree