Walt Disney World/college students on a budget at WDW

Hi! My two roommates and I will be spending Spring Break at WDW. Since we are college students, we are on a budget. We did pretty good with our resort and ticket reservations. We chose the Magic Your Way 4 day park tickets, staying at Pop Century, for a little over $1400. We are staying for 5 days (March 13-17)

What is the weather usually like during this time? Also the average crowd levels?

Could you possibly give me an estimate on about how much money we will need for food. Some money saving tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you so much!  

Hi Alexis,
   Sounds like a fun time! First I'm going to address crowd levels during your travel dates. This is peak season because of Spring break. The crowds will be high. Typically March is pretty nice in Florida. The normal high will run somewhere around 79 degrees, with the low being 57. The rainy season hasn't begun yet, so you shouldn't see too much precipitation.

It also sounds from the price of your trip that you got the Winter Special room only offer applied to your reservation. Am I right? And your 4 Day tickets are they Hoppers or Base tickets. If you are willing to do only one park each day, you can save some money by buying the Base tickets instead of Park Hopping. Hoppers do give you much more freedom though.

How much will dining cost you? Well, everything depends on where and what you want to eat. If you want to dine "bare bones" then pack breakfast bars, and snacks in your suitcase. You are also allowed to bring them into the parks in your back pack as long as they don't need refrigeration. When dining at the quick service restaurants, order a kids meal. Or consider two people splitting an adult meal. Just order what you want - order a la carte. Although the menus show combo meals, you may order a cheeseburger without the fries or side dish. Check out the Disney menus ahead of leaving for your trip and plan accordingly. You will see that Disney has several restaurants where you can dine for the minimum cost. As an example, Casey's Corner has a hotdog meal for around $6.50 or so. Although, many people complain about the taste of the water on Disney property, it doesn't bother me. Refill your water bottles from the fountains. Also, you can buy a large bottle of water in most of the gift shops. Just use that to refill your small bottle if you can't take the taste of Disney water. While we are on the subject of gift shops... you may find that some of the drinks in their coolers will be just a little cheaper than those in the food courts. Not always, but sometimes. Just compare.

Generally speaking, this is what it may cost you to dine at Disney:
Quick Service: $8-$12
Table Service: $16-$65

roughly, of course. Depends on what you order and where you order it from.

Otherwise, have you considered adding one of the dining plans to your reservation?

For your dates, you can add the Quick Service Plan to your package for about $35.00 per person, per night of stay.
Disney's Quick Service Plan gives you 2 quick service meals, 2 snacks and one resort refillable mug.

And you can add the basic Dining Plan for about $48.00 per person, per night of stay.
With Disney's basic Dining Plan, you will get one table service, one quick service and one snack each day. The table service meals even include most of the character meals.
Dining plans include taxes but does not include the gratuities- where applicable.

This can save you 15 - 20% on your food. :)

Have a great time!

Walt Disney World

Julie Shepherd

I am an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, working for a travel agency whose niche is Disney Destination Travel. I can answer questions in detail about Disney World resorts, parks, restaurants, transportation, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland and Disney's Aulani in Hawaii. I can help you decide when is the best time to go, how to get there, where to stay and where to dine. I can give you tips from navigating around the parks, to what to wear. Also, I keep current on all Disney's discount offers - always looking to help you save money.

I've traveled to Disney World and sailed Disney Cruise Line for a total of 40 plus trips. Also, I've stayed at Disney's newest resort in Ko' Olina, Hawaii. I've planned and booked many guests vacations, but I especially enjoy planning Disney honeymoons and trips for Disney first timers. I've either toured or stayed at every Disney hotel on property, and eaten at many of their restaurants. I've also vacationed at several beaches in Florida and Universal Studios as well. I've traveled with young children, teenagers, adults, and with a special needs child.

Member of CLIA and IATAN.

Graduate of The College of Disney Knowledge. Attended many Agent Education Programs at Walt Disney World and Disney Cruise Line. Also, participated in several Agent Education Programs sponsored by Magical Travel. I'm a travel agent for Magical Travel, on the web at and