Walt Disney World/July at Disney World

I am taking my family to Disney World in July 21-27. That would be two adults, a 7yr boy and 10yr girl. We are staying on site at a value resort.

The last time I was at Disney was in 2006 with my Daughter and I had a good time. I am reading about all these new electronic wrist bands and IPod apps for the kids to do mystery solving quest and other things. Is there a place that I can read about these things? Is there a number I can call?

I also have read the tips about the heat and how to pack for it. I am reading about the fast pass but really don't understand how to make the most out of these. I have no idea what rides my kids will want to ride and which one will have the longest line which would warrant getting a fast pass for as I understand you can only hold one fast pass at a time.

Are there any "special" things I can ask for that they don't advertise? I am talking about things for the kids to do. While I am sure the kids will be overwhelmed I want to make sure they get the most out of it. I am taking them to Disney so it is all about my kids and don't need adult stuff.

Is their a list of numbers for the park restaurants that you can call while at the park to make reservations?

Ok I know that is a few questions but I just want to be prepared before we get to the park. I want to have the kids have fun and not miss anything because I am trying to figure things out while we are there.

You can read about the apps available here:

The wrist band you refer to are called Magic Bands.  They may or may not be available during your trip, as they are still in a testing phase and have not rolled out resort wide yet, but here is some more information:

Fast Pass is not available on all rides, but if it is, when you approach a ride you will see a sign posted with the current wait time and the next available fast pass time. At that time you can decide if you want to get a fast pass for the attraction.  You will return to the ride at that time and you will ride with little or no wait.  In the meantime, you can visit other attractions, have lunch, etc. You can get another fast pass, after you use the one you are holding or in 2 hours, which ever comes first.  You can read the details here:

If you get the MyMagic app for your phone, you can see attraction wait times on there and it will help you decide what to do next.  

As far as dining reservations, the restaurants do not take calls directly, all reservations are made through the central dining number (407) WDW-DINE.  You can make reservations at any Guest Services location.  These will be in your hotel and at the entrance to each park.

As for the unadvertised things for the kids to do, check out these Hidden Gems

I hope this helps make you vacation magical

Walt Disney World

Michael Corbo

I was a moderator and chat host for the Walt Disney Boards on America Online and currently with Have been to Disney World 25 times in the last 10 years and stayed on sight at many of the resorts, eaten in a lot of the restaurants and cruised on the Disney Magic and Wonder several times. I specialize in getting the most for your money and trying to get the best discounts on airfare, rooms, tickets and restaurants for vacations to Disney World. If you're looking to find the best bargains on a trip to Disney while getting the most out of the "Disney experience", I can help. My main concentration is in on-site hotels and restaurants, but I will try and help with off-site info also. Also, recently featured as a Disney Expert in the July (many years ago) issue of Time Digital Magazine!

Former Chat Host of the Disney Hour on America Online (Sundays at 10PM EST, KEYWORD-> Travel). Moderator on the America On Line Walt Disney Message Boards (Keyword->TRAVEL-Travelers opinions->Theme Parks). Frequent reader of the internet newsgroup rec.arts.disney.parks. An active member of the Mouseforless group at Also featured in the July 2000 issue of Time Digital Magazine for my efforts with AOL. (see it at The greatest accomplishment is achieving a stress free Walt Disney World vacation with friends and family. I am also a Florida Travel Specialist, you can view my profile at

Graduate of Disney College of Knowledge