How to Get What You Want in Life/hi..

I am 20 female i so desperately want to be a doctor...being a doctor is my dream and i want to make my dream come true...i have spent extra couple of years to get what i want...i dont want to distract my mind for some other career because i will feel i have wasted two years of my life so i dont even want to think not working for my dream to come friends who were in the same grade as me are now senior to me though they arent doctors they chose somthing else for them some times disturbs i still want to stay firm with my is really hard to get in to medical school because the comptition is really tough. This was my second time applying to get entry trough medical school but i failed again...i dont want to loose hope but i feel if i am...when ever i sit my self to study my mind gets distract to other things like checking a text in my cell phone and when i dont find a text i text or call my friends or get on through facebook to see my notifications and then spend hours without knowing even if i feel i m wasting my time still i try not to care or i go switch on the t.v.....i really try not to get distracted while i m trying to study but i cant help and thats the reason i suppose i failed...i really dont want to waste another year this time...i want you to help me learn how to concentrate on my study and how to set a time table for every thing...i really dont want to fail again....

It is wonderful that you have the ambition and desire to be a doctor.  But as you already know, you are going to need to develop the self-discipline to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.

There are a couple of things which may be happening.  If you are trying to study too much, if you are not allowing yourself any time for play/fun then you will always be trying to steal time from your studies.

So the first thing you need to do is decide how many periods - how much time is available for study.  Your study times should be between 60 and 90 minutes.  Depending on what else you have to do, you may have two or three study periods per day.  If you have two, try to make one in the morning and one in the afternoon or evening.  If you have three study periods, make one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.  Get you an alarm clock and when you sit down to study set the alarm to go off in 60 or 90 minutes.  You need to be in a place where you will not be disturbed by others.  Turn off your cell phone, email alerts and any other program that you don't need for studying.  If you don't need your computer, turn it off.

The rule is when you are studying, nothing interrupts you unless it is an extreme emergency.   

At the end of your study period, When the alarm goes off, stop.  Then take a break and do something else.  You can text your friends, go on facebook or anything else.  Your break should be at least 30 minutes before you begin any other work activities.

To recap, when you study, you need to have a fixed time - say 9:00 AM and study until 10:00 Am with no interruptions.  Turn off all distractions.  Do not take any phone calls, any text messages - nothing.  But at the end of your study time, you are then free to engage in texting, or checking Facebook or whatever you want to do.

One other thing which may be happening is at some level you may be afraid of med school. You may think you will not  be successful and therefore are afraid to really getting accepted.  

Do this exercise.  Write out why you want to go to med school.  Whose idea was it?  Did you come to this decision by yourself or are you doing what your parents want you to do?  On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you want to be a doctor?  If the answer is not a 9 or a 10, there is something else going on.

Every morning when you wake up, review the answer you wrote out about why you want to go to med school.  It helps to keep this in the forefront of your thinking.

One other thing you may consider is getting a study buddy.  That is find someone to study with you.  Not so much sharing answers or talking. But someone who will meet with you and make sure you adhere to the rules - no interruptions.  If you cannot find a study buddy, you may find an accountability partner.  This is someone you can call and say I am starting my study period and I am turning off my phone and computer.  I will call you back at the end of my study period.  When you call your buddy back, you will have instructed them to ask if you followed the rules - study for 60 to 90 minutes without interruption.  You will answer truthfully.  

We have a much easier time making excuses to ourselves than we do to others.  Your accountability partner must care enough to "hold your feet to the fire" - to hold you accountable for doing what you are supposed to be doing.

Try this out for a week or two and let me know where you are having problems and we will work to solve them.  If you can get into the habit of studying for a specific length of time at a specific time of day, you will soon have your problem solved.

How to Get What You Want in Life

John Chancellor

How to set and achieve goals, how to find your major purpose in life and the power of focused action. Why you need an emotional attachment to give you the drive necessary to achieve goals.

Coach and trainer. Author Lessons In Life.

Business degree, certified coach