How to Get What You Want in Life/hi

Question
QUESTION: I am currently majoring in Health education. Sometimes i would think to myself why am i majoring in this? Sometimes i lose my motivation. How do i keep my motivation high and how should i create goals for myself to aim. At the moment i do not have much experience in that field yet. Is it because i lack it? A the moment i do not know what exactly i want to be. I just like helping people and making a difference in terms of health in people's life

ANSWER: Ray,

Instead of focusing on goals, I believe you should have a vision for what you want your life to look like in 5 to 10 years.  As we learn and grow, our goals can and do change.  But our vision should be bigger and should remain more constant.

To develop a vision, you first need to get clear on your values.  What is important to you?  The values you hold dear will dictate how you live your life.  Unfortunately, most people never stop to consider their values.  Ben Franklin made a list of thirteen virtues or values that he lived his life by.  They were: Temperance, Silence, Order, Resolution, Frugality, Industry, Sincerity, Justice, Moderation, Cleanliness, Tranquility, Chastity and Humility.  You might like to read a bit more about this list and how he used it in his life.  Here is a link to one website that goes into greater detail about the subject. http://artofmanliness.com/2008/06/01/the-virtuous-life-wrap-up/

To make the vision a little more concrete, think of your travelling by automobile from California to New York.  Your vision would be to reach New York.  That would govern your general direction of travel.  Your intermediate goals, what points of interest you might want to see, the conditions of the roads, etc. would govern your day to day travels.

So with life. Get clear on the general direction you want to be heading, the high level picture of what you wish to accomplish in life.  Then use that vision to help you make better decisions on a day to day basis.

It is not uncommon for people to question why they are doing certain things.  Today there are so many options and unfortunately we often have no way to "test the waters" to make sure that a career choice is the right one.  So the best course of action is to gain an education that will allow you the greatest variety of choices once you are out of college.

Please do not view college graduation as the end of education.  I have been a live long student.  I try to devote an hour a day to self-development. If you do the same, that will allow you to have a much better understanding of yourself, your abilities and how you can best use them to fulfill your vision.

So my point is you should get a good idea of what is important to you in life.  Then be flexible about your job/career.  It will probably change a few times over your life.  Try to take courses which allow you lots of flexibility and even when you finish college, do not stop learning.  

Learn to be curious.  Learn to ask "why?".  

If you get really clear about your values and your vision for life, then use those as guideposts for your goals, you will do well.

I know this is a very huge and scary thing for most young people, so feel free to ask follow-up questions.

John

QUESTION: How would you recommend finding that direction. I took a variety of classes, for me i am not sure if they have an interest

Answer
Ray,

Finding the best direction would probably be much easier if we did not have so much prior conditioning.  Our parents and other family members, teachers, school advisors and our friends have for years been influencing our direction in life.  Our culture has certain norms that we are expected to live within.  Twenty or thirty years ago, the vast majority of nurses were women.  It was not a profession that men were supposed to enter. Visit any hospital or clinic today and you will find many male nurses. On the other hand there were many professions that once were exclusively for men ... now that is also changing.

My point is when we sit down to think about our direction in life, we often limit our possibilities because of our conditioning.  The first step, as best as you can, is to eliminate all boundaries.  That is, expand the possibilities.  Do not let any preconceived ideas stop you from considering any possibility.

There is one other step you should consider - taking a strengths identifier test - that is a test that will identify your natural abilities and innate talents.  If you Google "Find Your Strengths" the search results will return some test that you can take that will help you identify your natural talents/strengths.  Now Discover Your Strengths is one of the better known tests.  It cost about $20.  There are others that are free.  Just look over the search results and pick one.  Take the online test and see the results.  It should give you some insights about your natural talents/interest and then give you some ideas about the best ways to use those talents/interest in a career that will maximize those strengths/interests.

Also write out a values statement.  What really means a lot to you?  At the end of your life, what will make you think you have lived a fulfilling life?  What do you wish to be remembered for doing/accomplishing?  What is important to you?

The best direction is one where your talents/interest are aligned with some useful purpose.  Not trying to be funny but you may say your talent/interest is in enjoying the beach or surfing.  But that serves no useful purpose for greater mankind.  Ultimately we are happy when we are doing something which serves some greater good.  So you need to find what you are good at doing, what you enjoy doing and at the same time serve some useful purpose.  

Your useful purpose does not need to be charity.  You can and should get paid for what choose to do.  You will never be able to maximize your useful purpose without resources.  So part of the equation is doing something that is rewarding financially as well as emotionally.

There have been plenty of books written to answer this question.  I have tried to condense my answer.  But feel free to ask follow-up questions if something in not clear.

John

How to Get What You Want in Life

John Chancellor