How to Get What You Want in Life/lost

Question
hello ,im a 26 years old single mother of a 3 year old boy . i get great help from my parents so i am not totally alone . heres my problem i am lost , i been a hairdresser still am but i dont enjoy it i dont look forward to it , people say i have a talent and im so good at it , but why yet i dont enjoy it , i dont know if i should go back to school , into what ? i enjoy travelling so much , i have a son so im limited in my choices ...im trying to find my path, make a decision without being selfish and take my son into consideration , but im stuck , is it because im unhappy deep inside so no matter what i will do i wont be happy or i need a change ? i will appreciate an advice thank you

Answer
Hi Natalia,

The first thing you need to do is pinpoint the source of discontent and identify what would make you happy. If you were to quit and travel, there is no guarantee you'd be happy. Sometimes dissatisfaction is less about job and life situation, and instead is something emotional or psychological. Other times, it could be that you need a change such as a challenge or a new job. Counseling can be a big help in figuring out what's got you down and what can pick you up.

Or you can try reading books like "The Passion Test" by Janet Attwood and Chris Attwoo or "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It" by Barbara Sher. These books help guide you through figuring out what you want and how to get it.

To a certain extent, you might limited in your goals by being a mother, but in the end, happiness comes from within, not from outside you.

Leslie Truex, MSW

How to Get What You Want in Life

Leslie Truex