Washington Redskins/Fan mail

My 2nd grade son loves the redskins. Especially RG3. He is doing a school project(flat Stanley if you are familiar with the book) where you send out a drawing of a boy in hopes the recipient will send a postcard to the school saying he saw them. In this case, my son drew Robert Griffin III. My question is....is it worth it to send it to the redskins? I will enclose all postage if needed. I just don't want my son to be disappointed if he gets no response.

Thank you for your time

Statistics Crew 2005
Statistics Crew 2005  

I appreciate your straight forward question.  Let me give you a straight forward answer.

I have had the privilege to be associated with two football teams.  The Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins were like night and day with respect public relations.
Unfortunately, the Ravens would do their best to fulfill your request.  The Redskins have a miniscule public relations staff. I don't know how they get their day-to-day work done.

This time of year is a bad time for any NFL team to respond to a letter from a young fan. No matter what team we are talking about, the folks who work in this role will put in 80 to 100 hours every week.  

In case you are wondering, they don't make a lot of money for their effort.

My best guess is to either mail the request to someone who will act on the behalf of RGIII (like your brother, father, sister, etc) or take a shot at contacting RGIII after the season ends.

Best wishes/Happy Holidays/Hail to the Redskins!
Jim Considine

Note:  the attached image is from the last game in 2005.  The PR Director of the Redskins actually took this picture before the game.  As usual, Mr. Snyder fired him and the staff the day after the season concluded.  Luckily for this person, he went to work for Joe Gibbs Racing.  Gibbs trumps Snyder ... all of the time.

Washington Redskins

Jim Considine

I can answer statistical questions about professional football played in the United States. I am especially strong on the subject of the Baltimore Colts from 1947 through 1983, Washington Redskins, and the Baltimore Ravens. My services are best used when an older, obscure question is posed. The newer NFL records are easily accessible through www.NFL.com I do not appraise memorabilia. I am not an expert on Canadian Football, though I will take a shot at any questions you might pose. The subject of my expertise pertains to "American Football", as opposed to "Futball" or the game we refer to in the USA as soccer. --------------------------------------------------------- I have a good understanding and recall of the folklore about Baltimore football. Some of this information may be subjective in nature. I will give the best answer possible if this is the case.

I am an NFL Statistician with the Washington Redskins. I grew up during the days of the Baltimore Colts in the 1960's. (Please refer to the movie "Diner" for more information about the Baltimore Colts fans)

Washington Redskins Statistician, 2005-2010 Baltimore Ravens, 1996-2003

The records were used by author Jon Morgan in his book, "Glory For Sale". The records have been part of the Baltimore Ravens Media Guides since their inaugural season in 1996. I was interviewed for the cover story of The Press Box, a local, monthly sports tabloid newspaper. http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=5594

I researched and was able to piece together the statistical history of the AAFC Baltimore Colts 1947-49, and the 1950 NFL Colts. This information was used by The Baltimore Ravens for their 1996 Media Guide. The records were entitled "Baltimore Football Records". It was considered "unofficial" since the AAFC league records were not incorporated with the NFL records when the leagues merged. The reason that this information was created was due to the fact that the NFL had prohibited the 1996 Baltimore Ravens from bringing the records, colors, and team name from the Cleveland Browns. The Baltimore football records were presented in order to create a frame of reference. The Ravens have kept these records since 1996, adding and amending as the Ravens football team challenge these records.

I was awarded two game balls from the Ravens and was recognized for my work as the top game day employee.

Baltimore Ravens, Wise Guides, Washington Redskins