Washington Redskins/origin of 'Redskin' logo/name

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I believed this until yesterday, after the Browns/Skins game, when I stated that the origin of the Skins was in Boston, and they were named after Boston beans, which had red skins. I even have this image in my head of an old Skin's helmet with a large, vertical bean on each side.
A friend hit his PDA for everything he could find out about this outrageous declaration, found nothing to support it, and pronounced me a knuckle-head.
I, also, could find nothing to verify the Bean thing.
Am I a knuckle-head full of beans, or is there anything to this?
I know, I know, but I'm serious.

Dear Robert,

I just pulled one of the best bonehead moves of the year.  I just finished answering your question.  I was reviewing the grammar, etc., when I click the submit button.  POOF, the website crashes and their goes my answer!  (You’d think the NY Times could afford a better system than the state of the art ASCII method for answering a question).

Well, here I am rewriting your answer, this time in MS Word.

I am running out of time so, I am going to cut to the chase.

The “bean” image is pretty funny.  You are close,  but not quite there.  The Boston Beaneaters were a National League baseball team from 1883 until 1906.  This team had five names before finally settling on calling themselves the Braves.  Then they changed cities three times.

You deserve a little confusion after that bonehead conundrum.

The Redskins have been the Redskins since 1933.  They were also called the Braves, in 1932.  They also shared the stadium, known as Braves Field in 1932.  They lost money the first year and moved to Fenway Park.  The owner hired a native American as the coach and thought he should keep the “Indian” thing going.  He probably figured that the Redskins and the Red Sox and the Braves all shared the color red.  I reckon that the black and white cowboy and Indian films left the native Americans seeing red.

I am going to share a couple of websites that will give you more specifics and actual graphics of the subject.  

Since I am cutting you short on your answer, I will be happy to send you a bigger bonehead story that features the Redskins and their goofball owner, George Preston Marshall.  Just drop me a follow-up and I’ll send it along tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Jim Considine  

Washington Redskins

Jim Considine

I can answer statistical questions about professional football played in the United States. I am especially strong on the subject of the Baltimore Colts from 1947 through 1983, Washington Redskins, and the Baltimore Ravens. My services are best used when an older, obscure question is posed. The newer NFL records are easily accessible through I do not appraise memorabilia. I am not an expert on Canadian Football, though I will take a shot at any questions you might pose. The subject of my expertise pertains to "American Football", as opposed to "Futball" or the game we refer to in the USA as soccer. --------------------------------------------------------- I have a good understanding and recall of the folklore about Baltimore football. Some of this information may be subjective in nature. I will give the best answer possible if this is the case.

I am an NFL Statistician with the Washington Redskins. I grew up during the days of the Baltimore Colts in the 1960's. (Please refer to the movie "Diner" for more information about the Baltimore Colts fans)

Washington Redskins Statistician, 2005-2010 Baltimore Ravens, 1996-2003

The records were used by author Jon Morgan in his book, "Glory For Sale". The records have been part of the Baltimore Ravens Media Guides since their inaugural season in 1996. I was interviewed for the cover story of The Press Box, a local, monthly sports tabloid newspaper.

I researched and was able to piece together the statistical history of the AAFC Baltimore Colts 1947-49, and the 1950 NFL Colts. This information was used by The Baltimore Ravens for their 1996 Media Guide. The records were entitled "Baltimore Football Records". It was considered "unofficial" since the AAFC league records were not incorporated with the NFL records when the leagues merged. The reason that this information was created was due to the fact that the NFL had prohibited the 1996 Baltimore Ravens from bringing the records, colors, and team name from the Cleveland Browns. The Baltimore football records were presented in order to create a frame of reference. The Ravens have kept these records since 1996, adding and amending as the Ravens football team challenge these records.

I was awarded two game balls from the Ravens and was recognized for my work as the top game day employee.

Baltimore Ravens, Wise Guides, Washington Redskins