Water Quality/Water Purification

Sibasis Panda wrote at 2010-05-16 06:35:28
The laundry sodium hypo chlorite may contain toxic substance like mercury , so better to use the reccomended NaOCl for drinking water disinfection.

Ferris wrote at 2010-09-19 21:28:45
I too became skeptical of "Water Preserver" concentrate after buying it for the ridiculous sum of $14 (2010). The active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite is found in almost the exact same level as in house hold bleach.

As for purity levels and suitability for human use, I think this is more a matter of marketing then logic. Even the US government's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has a web site that instructs us on how to sanitize both water storage containers AND the water that goes into them. Their instructions for preserving water in 2 liter bottles are:

"If the water you are using comes from a well or water source that is not treated with chlorine, add two drops of non-scented liquid household chlorine bleach) to the water. Tightly close the container using the original cap."

Don't trust FEMA? Fine, how about the Red Cross' instruction on their web site:

"Add 16 drops of liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water, or 8 drops per 2-liter bottle of water. Stir to mix. Sodium hypochlorite of the concentration of 5.25% to 6% should be the only active ingredient in the bleach. There should not be any added soap or fragrances".

You'll notice the Red Cross' instructions state to use more, not less, bleach...

Because of these and similar instructions from other disaster relief / preparation agencies, I feel that Water Preserver, like SUV's and $3.50 cups of coffee, is a fantastic marketing success, but a big, big waste of money.

By 3 quarts of regular Clorox for $2.50 (it needs to say "REGULAR") - unscented, no dyes, not the 'no-splash' formula which is thickened.  Us it and if you have extra, rotate it once a year or so.

Now buy yourself a $3.50 cup of coffee and realize you STILL saved a lot of $

ferris wrote at 2010-09-19 21:34:24
Clorox's process up to 2001 allowed for less mercury in their bleach than was safely allowed in drinking water.

In 2001, they changed the last of their manufacturing plants to a system the uses no mercury.

So even before the change, there was no health risk using clorox to sanitize water & water containers.

Blazen wrote at 2013-02-23 21:31:21
I would disagree on the avoidance of using Clorox provided you are very knowledgeable on converting from using say a 5.25% to a 8.25% (or other percentage) solution. Currently I've only found the exact percentage still being listed on their 30 oz. bottle of regular concentrated bleach. Clorox is also PH balanced and stabilized.

Clorox has slightly changed its formula and concentrations which will be fully implemented by March 2013. Prior to their Ultra product it had EPA approval for use as a drinking water treatment. Because it changed the formula it must be reproved. However, many state health departments and the Red Cross have guidelines on how to use Clorox for exactly this purpose. I personally carry a dropper bottle filled with Clorox for extended camping trips. You just can't carry 2 weeks of water with you.

Clorox used to have a web page devoted to this usage but I can't find it now. Sorry. Also, Clorox is the bleach world leader. All the knock off products are already changing their products to match Clorox's including how they label them.

archeromaha wrote at 2013-03-17 22:57:05
I happen to have almost 20 years experience in the sodium hypochlorite industry.  First let me say if Clorox was not a pure form of sodium hypochlorite the bottles would be exploding on the shevles of every store in the United States.  They buy or produce a high quality sodium hypochlorite solution.  They have to because if they didn't the bottles would expand and explode on the shelves in stores.  

Clorox does not get NSF certification due to the fact they are not in the business of supplying bleach to municipalities.  If they wanted to pay NSF they could easliy get that certification if they followed NSF drumming and lable requirements.

All Sodium Hypochorite is not made to the the same standard that much is true.  With that said Clorox is forced to buy or produce the highest level of purity avaialable PERIOD. I do not sell to them and never will but I know BLEACH.  Anyone who says they have a higher purity sodium hypochlorite solution to start off with is making a false claim.  They produce a 15% plus solution and then dilute to the lable of 5.25% or 6% solution.  If you want a clean and safe product that is NSF certified buy a 15 gallon or 55 gallon drum from your local chemical dist.  

Short list Hawkins Chemical, DPC Indutries INC., Univar, Harcros Chemical or Thatcher Chemical.

THis is my personal opinion and based on 20 years of experience.  I was going through the same thing you are looking for a long term water preserative and ran into the same  Web site you did.  Why does the EPA state in their Emergency water treatment say use household bleach??  Must be OK to use if they say it.

Save your money and buy NSF certified bleach.

Be safe and buy from a good supplier.  Buy NSF certified bleach and buy chlorine test kit.  Sodium Hypochlorite breaks down after time, this is accelerated buy numerous factors such as purity of sodium hypochlorite, temp. and UV.

Good Luck  

Water Quality

Dr. Henry Boyter, Jr.

No homework or other schoolwork! The question will be rejected. If you have not searched, do so before posting. If you are a student, give your grade and course. Everyone, explain the purpose and context for the question.
Experience in the area
Chemistry (non-biochemistry), environmental science, occupational health and safety, environmental regulation and management, environmental engineering, and wastewater engineering. I'm the Director of Environmental, Health, and Safety and the Director of Research at the Institute of Textile Technology.