Water Quality/cloudy well water only in extreme cold weather

Well problem Pete wrote at 2015-02-21 14:02:05
I have the exact same problem.  The well water gets brown and silted only when the outside temp drops below about 10 degrees.  This has been going on for 14 years (since the well was installed) and the driller has no idea what would cause such a phenomenon.  We live with it, but this year it has been a bigger problem due to the long stretch of very cold.  

My first theory was rust flakes breaking loose from the steel well casing when the upper section of the casing freezes.  I don't really like this theory, but something is causing it.

The second theory is that the ground freezes so deep it somehow obstructs an underground spring or significant feed to the well which causes the pump to suck water as if the well were running dry.  I like this theory better than the first, but it seems unlikely.

Any ideas out there would be welcome.

Water Quality

Steve Young

I will answer questions on residential water treatment, i.e. use of softeners, filters, reverse osmosis systems, disinfection, iron and/or sediment removal and other issues facing the homeowner. I have worked extensively with well water systems.

I have worked in the water treatment area for many years as a consultant and as a professional environmental engineer in the private industry sector. I have designed reverse osmosis, deionization, and water softening systems. I have also done work in water quality and stream and river remediation as it relates to the Clean Water Act.

I am currently serving as an Expert for Home Improvement, Travel (New Mexico) and Travel (North Carolina);

BS Environmental Eng.