Water Quality/IRB contributaries and testing

Question
QUESTION: Hello, Steve,

I'm trying to evaluate whether it's worthwhile to revive a residential well.  As I am a recent owner of this and the only person who would know the exact history of it had died before I purchased the property.

WARNING: THIS IS LONG!

Background
----------

Well is finished at 38' (via rotary method) and is about 20 years old.  Calculated GPM when finished was 30 gpm.  It has not been in use for at least 10 years.  At some point around/prior to this time the previous owner (PO) installed a cistern which is being fed by a spring that is nearly 1/2 mile away.  I do not know why such drastic measures were taken, though I do know that because the property was rented that the PO couldn't take his time messing around with the well (as I am now able to do).

The well casing was open to the environment for some time.  Last renter put a roof on the pump house.  Top of casing was never covered after it was abandoned.  Could be a lot of crud in the well: I have a plan to use eduction to evacuate it.

There are signs of iron staining: some rubber seals on shower doors; sediment and traces of slime in toilet tanks.  But these aren't all the prominent because the water source has been from a spring for at least 10 years or so.  Last renter told me that he'd heard that the water was full of iron and was brackish (I believe that was his term).

As far as I can tell there was never ANY filtration on the well: there wasn't anything on the spring either (I have it two-stage filtered and a Sterilight UV sterilizer on it- passes lab tests with flying colors, excellent water, water that I will sorely miss).

To-date testing
---------------

I have monitored water visually, noting what I'm sure is IRB (rust colored slime, which lessens after pumping water for a while; white filiment-looking stuff in water).

Lab analysis covering our county's Drinking Water Report returns a PASS for everything.  Sodium shows as 4.1 mg/L.

Based on research I have also had tests for: Turbidity -> 4.01 NTU; Hardness (as Calcium Carbonate) -> 70.3 mg/L; Iron -> 1.97 mg/L; Manganese -> 0.118 mg/L; pH (Hydrogen Ion) -> 7.01

I had meant to ask for an IRB test, but bungled it.  Before I submit a sample for this test I'd like to know what other tests I should probably look to have performed.  Reading all the Q&As from the allexperts.com site suggests that I might also want these tests done: Sulfur (Sulfate the same?); Magnesium; TDS; Chloride; Calcium (or can this be deduced from the Hardness results?).

I need to double-check whether I might be looking at SRB as well.  I think that I'd tried heating up a water sample, but I cannot remember what I'd concluded.  How likely is it that both IRB and SRB could be present?

To-date actions (performed by myself)
-------------------------------------

Visual monitoring.  Pulling water using a 12v sampling test pump that's only good for about 1 gpm: this is all I have for pulling water from the well.  Output as noted tends to clarify after running for a while (I run for about 1 hr before collecting samples for the lab).

The inside of the casing has a lot of rust flakes, which appear to be only superficial (the integrity of the casing appears fine).  So... I figured I should look to clean the casing.  [After having contacted a manufacturer of casing brushes, and being nearly laughed at, and learning that I, as a mere mortal couldn't purchase one -about $500- I] Started descaling of the casing using a fab'd tool run on the end of a drill: haven't gotten around to finishing because I'm not certain that it's really beneficial.

I keep the top of the casing covered with some plastic when I'm not collecting samples.

Have shocked twice (or maybe three times?) by dumping a gallon of bleach down the casing, running the pump and discharging the output back down the insides of the casing.  This seems to help for a while, though I got a bit distracted with other things and didn't note how long between shockings (I believe that I might have gone one, if not two months between the first two shockings).