Water Quality/Rotten egg smell from Moen faucet

Question
QUESTION: This is actually more of a comment than a question.  We bought a new Moen faucet for the bathroom sink last November, and after a couple week we noticed a rotten egg smell coming out, with both hot and cold water.  This was the only faucet in the house that we experienced this problem.  I called Moen and they said that it was the water lines, to replace them, and the smell would go away.  Well, 3 different sets of water lines later (including stainless steel) we STILL had the smell worse then ever.  We finally couldn't take it anymore so I replaced the faucet with a cheaper model from a different company, and NO MORE SMELL.................  This tells me that despite what we were told by Moen, it absolutely WAS their faucet..........  I am going to send them a long letter telling them of our experiences.  I don't expect any kind of refund, but I just want to let them know.  Thought I'd pass the word on to you guys as well.............

ANSWER: HI Dan,
Interesting.  I have never heard of this or a sulfur/sulfur bacteria odor being specifically caused by the faucet itself.  I can't imagine what is in a faucet that would cause this.  The only instance I can think of is when material becomes lodged in the faucet screen and, as it decays, gives off an odor.  I don't doubt that what you say, but I do know that I have worked with Moen products for many years and I have always found them to be extremely well made.  Please let me know how your situation is resolved by Moen.  I am very curious what they say.
Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention Dan.  I'm glad that you have the situation resolved.  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Steve
Environmental Engineer

QUESTION: Just to follow up, I did read on a couple websites that Moen uses some kind of plastic in their faucets??  Folks were saying that they replaced their Moen faucet with an "all metal" faucet...............  Maybe that has   something to do with it.  I will let you know if I get any reply.  Thanks again.

Dan Allen

ANSWER: Hi Dan,
Thanks for that information!  I really appreciate it and please let me know if you find out anything else.  That is very interesting and could, under the right conditions, cause some of the issues that you mentioned.  Good work!!
Thanks,
Steve

QUESTION: I heard back from them and they gave me a $130 credit for another Moen product.  I don't know what I am going to do with it since I bought another faucet and it is working fine.................

Oh well.

Thanks again.

Dan Allen

Answer
Hi Dan,
Thanks for following up with me - I really appreciate that and wish more questioners would be so polite.  The effort by Moen is certainly in sync with my dealings with them.  They have always been very fair and stand behind their products. As far as what you should do I would suggest that you look at their shower heads if you need one - they have some really nice ones.  Or perhaps a water filter.  They have a lot of stuff so I'm sure you can find something.
Thanks again Dan and have a nice holiday season.
Steve

Water Quality

Steve Young