Water Quality/Salty Well Water

QUESTION: I just purchased a home a few months ago and it has a very high salt content in the well water, around 5000 ppm. Will this be harmful to myself or my children and how can I remedy this problem cost effectively?

ANSWER: Hi Jessica,
I need to make sure we are comparing "apples to apples" so to speak.  When you say the salt content is 5000ppm, how is it expressed in the test results?  Is it 5000ppm sodium, magnesium (Mg) and calcium (Ca) - in other words all of the salts or is it just sodium (Na)?  Where did you get this analysis?  Can you tell me what else is in the water?
Let me know the answers and I'll try to give you some recommendations.
Steve Young
Environmental Engineer

Honestly I have no idea, this information came from the water company fixing my softer. I am going to have it professionally tested and will get back to you. Thanks so much, when I have more information I'll send it to you.
Thanks again, Jessica

Hi Jessica,
That would be very helpful.  Now, make sure that you get the sample to be tested right from the well and BEFORE it goes through the water softener.  This is very important!  The reason is that the watet softener adds salt to your water in the form of sodium and I want to know what the water looks like before it's treated in any way.
I will wait to hear back from you.

Water Quality

Steve Young

I will answer questions on residential water treatment, i.e. use of softeners, filters, reverse osmosis systems, disinfection, iron and/or sediment removal and other issues facing the homeowner. I have worked extensively with well water systems.

I have worked in the water treatment area for many years as a consultant and as a professional environmental engineer in the private industry sector. I have designed reverse osmosis, deionization, and water softening systems. I have also done work in water quality and stream and river remediation as it relates to the Clean Water Act.

I am currently serving as an Expert for Home Improvement, Travel (New Mexico) and Travel (North Carolina);

BS Environmental Eng.