Water Quality/Low PH Well Water System

We had our pressure tank replaced yesterday due to a hole in the pipe going into the tank. After the tank was replaced our plumber tested the water and stated the Ph was 5.5. He suggested a system to increase the acid. What surprised me was the cost - around $2,200. I think this has me asking questions because he priced a propane 40 gallon hot water heater we have in a separate building for $2,000. I do not have a water test with the other results. Thank you for your time.

Hi Mark,
Hold everything!!  That seems exorbitant to me!  The first thing you need to do is to get an independent pH test done. Even if the pH in your well water is 5.5 there are ways of controlling that for much less money.  What you need to do is to go over to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a water test kit.  You can get one for about $20. If you don't have one of those stores order one from Amazon.  Here is what I'm talking about:
As soon as you get the pH let me know what the results are and we'll go from there.  But DON'T spend $2200 on a neutralizer!!
Environmental Engineer
General Contractor

One more thing: what was the pipe that had the hole in it going to/from?  Was it a copper pipe?

Water Quality

Steve Young

I will answer questions on residential water treatment, i.e. use of softeners, filters, reverse osmosis systems, disinfection, iron and/or sediment removal and other issues facing the homeowner. I have worked extensively with well water systems.

I have worked in the water treatment area for many years as a consultant and as a professional environmental engineer in the private industry sector. I have designed reverse osmosis, deionization, and water softening systems. I have also done work in water quality and stream and river remediation as it relates to the Clean Water Act.

I am currently serving as an Expert for Home Improvement, Travel (New Mexico) and Travel (North Carolina);

BS Environmental Eng.