Water Quality/Resin in Culligan water softener

HI Fred,

I am concerned with the pink residue I am finding in my toilets and now in the spout of my faucet.  I am assuming it is the resin from the softener.  We shut down the softener and I do not see the residue any more.  
My concern is finding in the faucet.  How dangerous is this?  Will the residue eventually wash out of the pipes?
We are purchasing an Aquasana whole house filtration system and softener to replace my very old Culligan softener.  
Please advise.  I am much appreciative of your expertise in this matter.

Hi Mary
Thanks for asking. I am sorry I can't give you a definitive answer because I need more of a definition than " pink residue " to identify the problem. Let me just say this, whatever the residue is it does seem to come from the conditioner as evidenced by the results of taking the conditioner off line.Plumbing can purge itself over a period of time if it has good clean and soft water. IF the 'residue' is indeed the resin from the softener there is nothing to worry about since it is an inert resin of food grade quality.The resin are very tiny beads of a synthetic Zeolite,They are of a plastic like nature not just a pink color or coating in your plumbing or on your faucets. It could be a build up of something in your old softener. A good guess would be a type of iron. I can't say for certain. It would be good to have a certified water specialist check out your water.You can find one by visiting They will come out and diagnose your problem,usually free of cost. They will also verify that the filter you are investing in is adequate for the job and maybe give you some choices. Good Luck,Fred

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV

My field of expertise is in domestic water treatment. I am retired and have 28 years of experience in the water treatment field. I have earned the designation of Water Specialist, level five, from the Water Quality Association.I can offer help in the solution for private wells` problems as to `point of entry` and `point of use` treatments. these would include,disinfection,conditioning,and purification for drinking including reverse osmosis technology. Problems concerning well pumps,or plumbing or well drilling are out of my field,as well as commericial,industrial or municipal water treatment. I prefer to limit questions to the average homeowner`s use.Since retiring I have added consultation on the care and ,maintenance of domestic water treatment systems. These include filtration, conditioning/softening,chemical feed, and drinking water systems.

over 28 years testing private wells and application of various water treatment systems for a 65 year old water treatment company.Now retired and doing independent water consulting.BR>
Water Quality Association

Water Quality Association