Water Quality/WELL WATER QUESTION

Question
QUESTION: HI STEVE
 I HAVE A NEW SALTLESS WATER SOFTNER AND A NEW HOT WATER HEATER - I AM ON A WELL - MY QUESTION IS WHY IF I RUN COLD WATER ON A FOLDED PAPER TOWEL FOR 5 HOURS IT IS PERFECTLY CLEAN - I DO THE SAME ON HOT WATER SIDE AND PAPER TOWEL IS ALL RUSTY - HOW CAN THIS BE??  THANKS RANDY

ANSWER: Hi Randy,
Could be many reasons.  You need to contact the company that installed these systems, have them come out and run some tests. Sounds like it's coming from the HW heater to me but this needs to be looked at on site because it's a new system.
Steve
Environmental Engineer
General Contractor

QUESTION: THANKS FOR RESPONDING TO MY QUESTION STEVE:
  IT DID THE SAME THING WITH OLD WATER HEATER THATS WHY I REPLACED IT - THE MYSTERY CONTINUES - THANKS STEVE

Answer
HI Randy,
So you did it yourself?  Curious: why did you put a softener in?  Do you know if you have iron in your well water?  I still think it's coming from the HW heater.  Does your HW heater have a sacrificial anode in it?  Let me know on these things and I'll try to help you figure this out.
Steve

Water Quality

Steve Young