Water Quality/compressor-sulfur water aeration

Question
QUESTION: I have just set up at 5,600 gal tank and need a compressor to aerate the water before it goes into the pressure tank. After the pressure tank I have a pre filter, chlorinator, sed tanks, iron and Mg filter and whole house filters in place. Please recommend the best type of compressor. Thanks, Chris

ANSWER: Hi Chris;
Thanks for asking but I can't really use this forum to promote any particular brand name. However if you go to www.wqa.org and research their site you may find the information you need.Your system sounds like you have invested quite a few dollars so good luck in your research. I hope this helps a little.
Fred

QUESTION: Fred, What type of compressor is best? I have read that there are oil-less, reciprocating, centrifugal, rotary, screw, etc. How about rebuilt compressors? I have over 20 parts per million of sulfur and that is why I added the large aerating tank, and yes, I will hit about $30 thousand dollars by the time this project is done. I appreciated your quick response to my last question. Thanks, Chris

Answer
Hi Chris
Thanks again for asking. You have one monster problem there. 20 ppm sulfur is a gangbuster amount! Sulfur is one of the most,if not the most, aggressive,corrosive elements one finds in water. I have put in many aeration systems in my time mostly for oil, methane and sometimes for sulfur. The aeration systems I had installed consisted of,starting at the source, after the well's pump ,an open to atmosphere holding tank, usually 125 to 250 gallons.Since going from a pressurized system to an open to atmosphere system I had to have a ball float in the aeration tank . It controlled the well delivery pump which kept the aeration tank full.The aeration was done by a simple air compressor.The aeration tank was vented to the outside using a spark-free motorized fan which ran 24/7 because of fire hazards.Then a submersible pump was also installed in the aeration tank.It was followed by a pressure tank which responded to the households needs.A pelletized feeder fed chlorine pellets into the aeration tank for additional oxidation and disinfection.The aeration tank had a valve installed close to the bottom to drain off the resultant solids from the oxidation of the sulfur,iron and manganese. Next in line was a large backwashing clarifying filter followed by a backwashing carbon and KDF to remove the chlorine and its byproducts and any residual sulfur.After the water was treated by this system other problems such as conditioning were considered for the utility water usage (rinsing,washing,flushing) and reverse osmosis for drinking if needed. Of all the equipment,the compressor or aerator was the least critical so used would be ok.
It would help me to help you better if you would share more of the specifics with me.Such as water analysis,well depth and flow and recovery rates,and daily usage requirements.With systems as complicated as yours,you might want to look at renting or leasing the equipment.Because even if you maintained the equipment well there will be problems because of the aggressive water.
You might consider drilling a new well if at all possible,or consider installing a large underground cistern and buying bulk delivery. That might be less expensive in the long run.
Good luck.

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV