Water Quality/cryptosporidia

Question
Thanks for taking my question. I am a backpacker and have noticed that there are backpacking filters rated at NSF standard 53 for cryptosporidia removal but only have a 2 micron pore size. Much of the literature I read states Crypto needs a one micron filter. Do you have an answer for this discrepancy?
Thanks again.

Steve Z.

Answer
Hi Steve;
Thanks for your question. The answer to the discrepancy is semantics. Your filter states (according to your info) that it is rated "at" NSF standard 53.Not "by" the NSF at standard 53. If it does carry the genuine NSF seal and also the WQA (Water Quality Association) seal for performance then I don't know the answer.You can go to the NSF.org (National Sanitation Foundation)and verify that your filter has been tested.If it isn't then maybe you should send the filter packing! Good Luck and happy backpacking!

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV