Water Quality/Which filter system should I get?

QUESTION: Hi Steve :)

I grew up in the country with our own well and I am completely disgusted by the fluoride, chlorine, and sometimes quite noxious things which are in the city water where I live (Jersey City).  

I want as pure water as possible, added chemicals gone.

I would like to install a small or medium sized filter system under my sink. I have no idea what is best. I look around and find filters with up to 8 stages, though my guess is that after about 5 it is just a marketing ploy. For instance here on amazon

or on ebay:

I figure I can spend up to about $200.

Thanks so much!

PS I am a mouse expert here.

ANSWER: Hi Natasha,
I would pick this one:

QUESTION: Thank you very much. I found the filter on Amazon and read the reviews, which were mostly positive. There is a part people recommended for it which I also plan to buy. And I guess a water tester to see how well it worked. It is strange that it says nowhere that it filters out fluoride; maybe they simply all believe fluoride is great. But one person mentioned it.

1. I don't completely understand it. Will it filter the water I use to wash dishes? That is a lot of water, and apparently the main problem with the filter is that it refills slowly. Or does it have a switch to filter or not?

2. Was my price range OK--$200-- or are filters a bit more expensive a lot better? I ask because it is exactly $200.

Hi Natasha,
Yes, it will filter out flouride.  This system is rated at 50GPD, which means 50 gallons per day.  I think using filtered water for washing dishes would be a total waste - you should only use this water for drinking.  My wife and I use this system and we have never been short of water.  It makes plenty for our drinking water.  The reason that it has 4 filters is that each filter takes out a different ingredient, with the Reverse Osmosis filter taking out the most.  You are correct that the units with 8 filters are redundant and simply a marketing ploy to charge more.  You can actually get it all done with 3 filters if need be but I like the one filter for sediment removal since we do have a fair amount of sediment in our well water.  There is no need for a switch to filter or not since there is a separate faucet for the filtered water.  It just filters enough to keep the little storage tank under the sink full so the amount filtered each day depends on how much you use.  This is a very good system for the money.  Its around $200 because that's the number you gave me to work with.  Obviously you can spend more but I think, for what it does and what you need, this is a very good unit.

Does this make sense?  If not, let me know and I'll try to help.
Good luck,

Water Quality

Steve Young

I will answer questions on residential water treatment, i.e. use of softeners, filters, reverse osmosis systems, disinfection, iron and/or sediment removal and other issues facing the homeowner. I have worked extensively with well water systems.

I have worked in the water treatment area for many years as a consultant and as a professional environmental engineer in the private industry sector. I have designed reverse osmosis, deionization, and water softening systems. I have also done work in water quality and stream and river remediation as it relates to the Clean Water Act.

I am currently serving as an Expert for Home Improvement, Travel (New Mexico) and Travel (North Carolina);

BS Environmental Eng.