Water Quality/well disinfecting

Question
I would like to try using hydrogen peroxide for treating a well but I am not sure which percentage to use 3 to 35%, the amounts and how long to leave it in the system.

Answer
Hi Wayne:
Thanks for your question.  I don't know why you are treating your well and how bad the bacteria is or if your well failed the bacteria test. Therefore I can't give you a definitive answer. I could however give you some advice and that is to have a water professional test your well on site. You can visit WWW.WQA.ORG and find a certified water specialist in your area. They will do testing and evaluation for you,usually at no cost. Then if you need a disinfection system they will advise you as to whether you should use Peroxide,Chlorine or Ultra Violet or a combination. They will also check for other elements in your water that may be harmful. You may need to consider reverse-osmosis as well. Then again maybe you may only have to treat your drinking and cooking and ice.You and your family only consume about a half gallon of water or so per day. Having your water checked by a pro is like chicken soup. Can't hurt,may help!
Good luck,
Fred
P.S.-- Here is some info you might find interesting:

Hydrogen peroxide
Most people know hydrogen peroxide as a compounds that bleaches hair. It can also be used for water disinfection.

When was hydrogen peroxide discovered?

Louis Jacque Thenard discovered hydrogen peroxide in 1818. Hydrogen peroxide consists of oxygen and hydrogen atoms. These can be found everywhere on earth. Hydrogen peroxide contains a combination of two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atoms.
In the environment, hydrogen peroxide can be found in very low concentrations. Gaseous hydrogen peroxide is produced by photo chemical reactions in the atmosphere surrounding the earth. It can also be found in water in small quantities.

What are the characteristics of hydrogen peroxide?

Peroxide is a chemical compound that contains the peroxide ion (O22-).
The peroxide ion consists of a single bond between two oxygen atoms: (O-O)2-. It is a strong oxidiser.
Hydrogen peroxide has the chemical formula H2O2 and the following structural formula:
H-O-O-H

The hydrogen peroxide molecule contains one extra oxygen atom, compared to the more stable water molecule. The bond between the two oxygen atoms, the so-called peroxide bond, is broken while two H-O radicals are formed. These radicals quickly react with other substances, while new radicals are formed and a chain reaction takes place. Hydrogen peroxide solutions look like water and can be dissolved in water unrestrainedly. At high concentrations these solutions give off an irritating, acidic smell. Hydrogen peroxide is inflammable. At low temperatures it becomes solid. The amount of hydrogen peroxide in the solution is expressed in weight percentage. For water treatment, concentrations of 35 or 50 % hydrogen peroxide are used.  

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV