Water Quality/grey cloudy well water

I live in east central illinois and my well is approx. 27 years old and is approx. 150 ft. deep. I have a submersible pump I believe to be 1/3rd horsepower with an x-trol pressure tank ( not sure what size), the casing is 5inch steel.  I started getting grey cloudy water that leaves behind a fine grey sediment that is almost the consistency of portland cement.  My well contractor is telling me to keep pumping water and that it most likely will clear up after a few weeks.  It does get better after a while but when I stop pumping the grey water and sediment return until I pump it again.  Is this just something that will take some more time to clear up or do you think there is something else that I need to be doing.  2 adults in the house.

Hi Bill;
Thanks for your question.Sorry it is later than usual, I was out of town until yesterday.
What you have in your water is terrible stuff. I call it 'quicksand'. Most likely it is "colloidal" clay. Somehow it is invading your well or the aquifer. Has there been any drilling or "fracking" going on anywhere near you? Quicksand often seems to happen when there is drilling,fracking,or fossil fuel exploration going on? There is another cause involving your well casing if it is cracked,it could be allowing this clay to pollute your water. Also,if your submersible pump is set too low in your well and your well is filling with sediment you could be sucking that up as well. I suggest that you have your well contractor inspect the casing for cracks and make sure your well doesn't have any cracks allowing the sediment invasion. Then go to and find a specialist in your area to do a thorough diagnosis of your water to make sure you haven't gone through a natural water change. They come out and do their analysis for you usually at no cost.Then they will give you the facts so that you can make an informed decision.This is definitely NOT as DYI thing. Your problem could be very serious and should be dealt with by a professional.
Hope this has helped some. Good Luck,Fred

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV

My field of expertise is in domestic water treatment. I am retired and have 28 years of experience in the water treatment field. I have earned the designation of Water Specialist, level five, from the Water Quality Association.I can offer help in the solution for private wells` problems as to `point of entry` and `point of use` treatments. these would include,disinfection,conditioning,and purification for drinking including reverse osmosis technology. Problems concerning well pumps,or plumbing or well drilling are out of my field,as well as commericial,industrial or municipal water treatment. I prefer to limit questions to the average homeowner`s use.Since retiring I have added consultation on the care and ,maintenance of domestic water treatment systems. These include filtration, conditioning/softening,chemical feed, and drinking water systems.

over 28 years testing private wells and application of various water treatment systems for a 65 year old water treatment company.Now retired and doing independent water consulting.BR>
Water Quality Association

Water Quality Association