Water Quality/Continuation of conversation

Question
QUESTION: Hi Steve,

The last conversation no longer gave me a respond option so I started a new thread.

By no means do I want you to feel uncomfortable or responsible for the decision we make. I just like to do my research before I  make a decision and the factual information you have provided is what I take into account. Your guidance so far has been very helpful!

My gut feeling all along has been pro Culligan and not very comfortable with the other company. I like that Culligan explains things to me whereas this other company just likes to tell me things are fine but clearly things are not fine.

In my house it is just myself, husband, and 2 year old so my husband says on an average we probably use 100-150 gallons a day.

The hardness number I gave you is GPG.

ANSWER: Hi Amanda,
I appreciate your comments.  Thanks.  I also appreciate your wanting to do all the research you can before making a decision.  That is very prudent!

OK, give me some more information if you can find it.  I need to know how many cubic feet of softener resin are in your current softener and how many are in the Culligan unit that they are proposing.  Also, are you sure that the number for the hardness is in grains per gallon?  I just want to make sure because if it is 55 grains per gallon the total hardness is almost 1000 ppm which is very high.  It would make sense that it's that high, based on other numbers, but I just want to make sure.  I am going to show you how to calculate your salt usage so you can figure it out yourself so that you will be more prepared to talk to the people about it.  
So - give me the resin numbers if you can find them.
Steve

QUESTION: Our current softner is 1-1.5 cubic ft and the one Culligan is proposing is 3 cubic feet.  Also, the flow rate of the unit they propsing is 11 gallons/per minute and can handle up to 155GPG.  And yes, the hardness of the water is in GPG's - very high!

Answer
Hi Amanda,
Since the Culligan unit contains twice as much resin it will have to be regenerated roughly half as often as your current unit.  Also, a rule of thumb is about 10 lbs of salt per cubic foot or resin or about 30 lbs per regeneration in your case.

If your water usage is, say 250 gallons per day, which may be a little high here is how much salt you should use:

250 gallons x 57 grains/gallon =  14,250 grains per day.  If you use 10 lbs of salt per regeneration you should be able to get a capacity of 25,000 grains per cubic foot.  Or in your case 75,000 grains total capacity between regenerations.

So.... 75,000 grains / 14,250 grains per day = 5 days between regenerations.  If you use 30 lbs of salt every time you regenerate you should use about 30days/month / 5 days per regeneration = 6 regenerations per month.  And if you use 30 lbs every time you regenerate then 30 x 6 = 180 lbs of salt per month will be your salt usage.

Here is a good website: http://www.hillwater.com/resources/hardness-removal-through-ion-exchange.aspx

Looking at these numbers your current softener is WAY undersized and there is no wonder hardness was leaking through!!  That company should have caught this a long time ago.  For this reason alone I would go with Culligan.  Looks to me like a better unit and I know it's a better company.  So....good luck and keep me posted.

Steve Young, EnvE., P.E.
Environmental Engineer
General Contractor

Water Quality

Steve Young