Water Quality/Well water pH

Our well water pH is 8.5  A water treatment co. installed a citric acid injection unit to lower the pH, which then runs through 2 Metsorb media tanks (1 cubic ft. each) to remove arsenic (92 ppb).  The problem is after only 2 weeks, the Citric Acid bucket solution (15 gal) developed black mold and white scum, which caused an unbearable wet-dog foul odor in the water in our home!  It appears our entire system has been contaminated... what OTHER way is there to lower the pH and resolve this?  Does our media need replacing or can it be disinfected some way?  Please help... thank you!

Hi Patty;
Thanks for your question. Since I don't know your water's chemistry or how exactly they are dosing your pH correction I can only offer an educated guess. It may be a biological problem with a friendly or unfriendly bacteria in your well water. Maybe you should be disinfecting as well as pH correction. This can be done at the same time. I have never experienced a scum or mold developement when treating both problems. The disinfectant chemical (chlorine or hydrogen-peroxide) would prevent that. But you would need a retention tank for contact time so the chemicals could do their work. Usually 120 gallon retention tank works well. Contact the water treatment company you are dealing with to come back out and correct the problem. If you don't have confidence in them visit and find a certified water specialist in your area to come out and evaluate the situation. Their analysis and advice are usually free. Then you will be armed with the knowledge you need to take the best course of action. Good luck to you.

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV

My field of expertise is in domestic water treatment. I am retired and have 28 years of experience in the water treatment field. I have earned the designation of Water Specialist, level five, from the Water Quality Association.I can offer help in the solution for private wells` problems as to `point of entry` and `point of use` treatments. these would include,disinfection,conditioning,and purification for drinking including reverse osmosis technology. Problems concerning well pumps,or plumbing or well drilling are out of my field,as well as commericial,industrial or municipal water treatment. I prefer to limit questions to the average homeowner`s use.Since retiring I have added consultation on the care and ,maintenance of domestic water treatment systems. These include filtration, conditioning/softening,chemical feed, and drinking water systems.

over 28 years testing private wells and application of various water treatment systems for a 65 year old water treatment company.Now retired and doing independent water consulting.BR>
Water Quality Association

Water Quality Association