Water Quality/High sodium levels in well water

Question
Hi. Thanks for reading my question. My husband and I are in the process of buying a house in  Northeastern Colorado. We had the well water tested and the sodium levels are pretty high (253.6 mg/L) and the Sodium absorption ratio is really high(35.6)TDS are also high but everything else looks ok.PH is 8.39 We are aware that the sodium issues will cause problems for growing any sort of plant life. Planting a yard, garden and trees were part of our plan. Is there anything we can do to be able to grow things? Either to the ground or the water? Do you have any idea what those things would cost and the likelihood of it actually working? We appreciate any help or advice you can give us. Thanks!

Answer
Hi Nora;

Thanks for asking. The most important thing is your drinking water to me.For that you need an r/o that will produce enough for a seperate tap at your sink and you icemaker. There are whole house reverse osmosis systems out there that can do what you want. You might visit www.wqa.org. That is the water quality association. They will steer you to a certified specialist in your area. They will come to your home,evaluate your problems and give you suggestions and the facts you need to make an informed decision. There is also the possibility to collect rainwater if you are in an area with adequate rainfall and that can support a cistern. You might contact you county agriculture agent for plans and advice. The costs in either case will not be cheap, usually a few thousand.
Hope this helps a little. Good luck in your new home.

Fred

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV