Water Quality/Salting my well

Question
Just moved into a rental home, I'm resonsable for the well  and softener, never had one before. The handyman said to pour the salt into the water tank. Others said not to put it in the water. I tried looking on line,but got even more confused. The water is starting to smell funny.  One of the tanks says challenger on it, there is another cylinder beside it then there is a holding tank. Along with a pump. Any ideas. There is no other tanks or containers. I live in port Charlotte Florida

Answer
Hi Tammy;
Thanks for your question. My best suggestion since I cannot tell what your situation is from the information you give,is to go to www.wqa.org.  You will find a certified water specialist in your area who will come to your home and go over the care of your system. They will test your water and give you maintainence tips. Usually they do this at  no cost to you. Your landlord should give you detailed instructions. It is ultimately his sytsem and benefits his property and investment. Maybe you could sit down with your landlord and ask directions. I hope this helps a little.

Good Luck!

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV