Water Quality/Salting my well

Just moved into a rental home, I'm resonsable for the well  and softener, never had one before. The handyman said to pour the salt into the water tank. Others said not to put it in the water. I tried looking on line,but got even more confused. The water is starting to smell funny.  One of the tanks says challenger on it, there is another cylinder beside it then there is a holding tank. Along with a pump. Any ideas. There is no other tanks or containers. I live in port Charlotte Florida

Hi Tammy;
Thanks for your question. My best suggestion since I cannot tell what your situation is from the information you give,is to go to  You will find a certified water specialist in your area who will come to your home and go over the care of your system. They will test your water and give you maintainence tips. Usually they do this at  no cost to you. Your landlord should give you detailed instructions. It is ultimately his sytsem and benefits his property and investment. Maybe you could sit down with your landlord and ask directions. I hope this helps a little.

Good Luck!

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV

My field of expertise is in domestic water treatment. I am retired and have 28 years of experience in the water treatment field. I have earned the designation of Water Specialist, level five, from the Water Quality Association.I can offer help in the solution for private wells` problems as to `point of entry` and `point of use` treatments. these would include,disinfection,conditioning,and purification for drinking including reverse osmosis technology. Problems concerning well pumps,or plumbing or well drilling are out of my field,as well as commericial,industrial or municipal water treatment. I prefer to limit questions to the average homeowner`s use.Since retiring I have added consultation on the care and ,maintenance of domestic water treatment systems. These include filtration, conditioning/softening,chemical feed, and drinking water systems.

over 28 years testing private wells and application of various water treatment systems for a 65 year old water treatment company.Now retired and doing independent water consulting.BR>
Water Quality Association

Water Quality Association