Water Quality/well water

Question
our well pump went out after 21 years, when we pulled it everything was covered with a black substance ,it was like a black powder  ,the pipe ,the pump ,the white spacers .  the well is 300' deep ,the water is clear, does not have a smell, and taste fine ? what could it be?

Answer
Hi Barb:
Thanks for your question. Your pump lasted a very long time,that is good. Water tables can change in  quality naturally.It sounds to me like oxidized manganese or iron. It could be that a concentration of either passed through the aquifer that you are drawing from or it could be that you are going through a water quality change. Check the fill tank of you commodes and see if there is any development there.If the fill tank is nice and clean you should have nothing to worry about. If there is any discolorization or build-up on the walls of the tank or any scum or slime on the walls of the tank or floatiing on the surface,you might want to have it checked out. Go to www.wqa.org and find a certified water specialist to come to your home and check out the water quality.They normally do this at no cost to you.Tell them what your problem with the well pump was. They can advise you whether you need any corrrection or whether you can expect your new pump to last for a very long time! At least you will have the correct information to make an intelligent decision. Hope this helps and good luck!

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV