Water Quality/TDS level in drinking water

I am from INDIA. TDS level in my source drinking water is 380. After filtration through reverse osmosis process it comes about 21. Is it safe for my health. Please answer.

Hello Anjan,
Please understand that the value of TDS in water only tells you what the amount of dissolved solids in the water is.  It does not tell you what is in the water.  Therefore you cannot tell whether a water sample is potable simply by knowing the TDS.  You would need a complete water analysis to make that determination.  Read this article:  It will give you a very good idea of what testing is required to determine the potability of a water sample or source.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Water Quality

Steve Young

I will answer questions on residential water treatment, i.e. use of softeners, filters, reverse osmosis systems, disinfection, iron and/or sediment removal and other issues facing the homeowner. I have worked extensively with well water systems.

I have worked in the water treatment area for many years as a consultant and as a professional environmental engineer in the private industry sector. I have designed reverse osmosis, deionization, and water softening systems. I have also done work in water quality and stream and river remediation as it relates to the Clean Water Act.

I am currently serving as an Expert for Home Improvement, Travel (New Mexico) and Travel (North Carolina);

BS Environmental Eng.