Water Quality/TDS level in drinking water

Question
I am from INDIA. TDS level in my source drinking water is 380. After filtration through reverse osmosis process it comes about 21. Is it safe for my health. Please answer.

Answer
Hello Anjan,
Please understand that the value of TDS in water only tells you what the amount of dissolved solids in the water is.  It does not tell you what is in the water.  Therefore you cannot tell whether a water sample is potable simply by knowing the TDS.  You would need a complete water analysis to make that determination.  Read this article:  http://www.water.rutgers.edu/Fact_Sheets/fs434.pdf  It will give you a very good idea of what testing is required to determine the potability of a water sample or source.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve  

Water Quality

Steve Young