Water Quality/Salt in well water

We drilled waterwell last summer, it was tested and were told it was good for watering. We are just now pumping water out for first time, we decided should test again to see if still good.  Test shows 3300 parts per millions of salt, is that safe to water with and will that stay consistent or get better or worse?

Hi Annie;
I apologize for taking so long to answer you. I have had some internet provider problems. I guess we are in a bad area for reception. Anyway I am here at the senior center in Sarasota using their internet. Thanks for asking your question. It is not too unusual in my experience to see very high sodium levels in wells that are in a region where there is gas and oil. My feeling is your water shouldn't be used for consumption,owing to the excessive salts @ 3300 ppm could be considered "brackish"! The answer to your last question would be "Yes" it could be consistent or change for the better or for the worse! Much depends on where your well's make up water is going to come from. You are drawing water from an aquifer that hasn't been disturbed before. Since water seeks its own level,your well is going to look for water to replace the water that you are drawing. It could be better or worse,and more or less abundant! In other words anything could happen! As for using that water for food or drink,even ice I would recommend that you look for another source. Use either bottled water or invest in a Reverse Osmosis system with a tap seperate from the utility water faucet on your kitchen sink.If you have an automatic icemaker use the r/o water for that too. The salty water should be ok for washing,rinsing and flushing but not for drinking.
If you make as tray of ice cubes you will notice they aren't clear and their will be a white dust-like coating on them. Touch your tongue very slightly to the bottom of one of the cubes and you will taste either a distinctive salty taste or a more sodium taste similar to flat Alka Seltzer! I recommend that you visit, find a certified water specialist in your area and have them check out your situation. They should do this at no cost. There is a lot more than just a water test to solving your problem and they should be able to give you a complete picture. Then you will be equipped with enough information to make a wise decision. Best of luck to you Annie.Hope I helped a little.

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV

My field of expertise is in domestic water treatment. I am retired and have 28 years of experience in the water treatment field. I have earned the designation of Water Specialist, level five, from the Water Quality Association.I can offer help in the solution for private wells` problems as to `point of entry` and `point of use` treatments. these would include,disinfection,conditioning,and purification for drinking including reverse osmosis technology. Problems concerning well pumps,or plumbing or well drilling are out of my field,as well as commericial,industrial or municipal water treatment. I prefer to limit questions to the average homeowner`s use.Since retiring I have added consultation on the care and ,maintenance of domestic water treatment systems. These include filtration, conditioning/softening,chemical feed, and drinking water systems.

over 28 years testing private wells and application of various water treatment systems for a 65 year old water treatment company.Now retired and doing independent water consulting.BR>
Water Quality Association

Water Quality Association