Water Quality/Well Water Analysis & Recommendation

Where to begin.....

I recently had a well dug in middle/eastern Tennessee.
The well was to be utilized primarily for livestock but also for part-time human consumption. The well is located in a remote area on our family close neighbors, no major pesticides/chemicals used on land, no major roadways or industry any where close.

I pumped the well for approximately 2000-3000 gallons before pulling my sample for analysis. Just got my results back from the lab (a state accredited lab and water excellence center) and the results are off the chart.

A quick overview:
Turbidity 8
Ca 985 mg/L
K 148 mg/L
MG 728 mg/L
Na 2751 mg/L
Chloride 12370 mg/L
Sulfate 5585 mg/L
Hardness 5460 mg/L as C
Conductivity 46.8 ms/cm (reported in ms due to extremely high level. normally reported in microsiemens/cm...conversion is 46,800 microsiemens/cm)
PH - 7
No bacteria present and below min values of CU, FE, Mn, Zn, Bromide, Fluoride, Nitrate, Nitrite.

Have talked with lots of people about these results and they appear to be extremely rare for this area (especially salts).

Well depth is not excessive at ~200 ft. Static water level is 130 ft.  The bedrock is primarily limestone with streak shale.

What could be causing these values to be so high? Especially in salts? (it is way too salty to drink or to offer to livestock and there is a strong sulfur odor)

Will pumping the well for an extended time lower these levels as "new water" enters the well pocket?

Is the water quality salvageable or should I just look for water sources elsewhere?

Any insight, feedback, or recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Hi Ryan;
Thanks for asking. The information you sent was very complete. It indicates that the water ,untreated, is of very poor quality for any use except maybe extinguishing a fire. Sometimes the cost and maintainence of treating the water is economically impractical and very difficult if not impossible to maintain. I think this is your case. If finding water like yours.according to your people is rare, then you would probably do better to roll the dice on a new well.
Another alternative which folks in my area have used is to create a large (and deep enough) pond or to collect rainwater utilizing a well designed cistern with enough retention to satisfy your livestock and human needs. Your local county agent for agriculture or department of conservation should be able  to help you with that. There are also bulk water companies that could deliver water to your cistern via tank truck.
I hope this information gives you some ideas and alternatives of value.
Goog Luck,

Water Quality

Fred E. Brunetti CWSV

My field of expertise is in domestic water treatment. I am retired and have 28 years of experience in the water treatment field. I have earned the designation of Water Specialist, level five, from the Water Quality Association.I can offer help in the solution for private wells` problems as to `point of entry` and `point of use` treatments. these would include,disinfection,conditioning,and purification for drinking including reverse osmosis technology. Problems concerning well pumps,or plumbing or well drilling are out of my field,as well as commericial,industrial or municipal water treatment. I prefer to limit questions to the average homeowner`s use.Since retiring I have added consultation on the care and ,maintenance of domestic water treatment systems. These include filtration, conditioning/softening,chemical feed, and drinking water systems.

over 28 years testing private wells and application of various water treatment systems for a 65 year old water treatment company.Now retired and doing independent water consulting.BR>
Water Quality Association

Water Quality Association