Water Quality/soft water

Andy, can I use the soft water that comes into the house from the water softner to fill my car battery and auto radiator? Will the sodium hurt the devices?

Hello, Sophie.
You should always follow the advice of the automobile manufacturer regarding what water is suitable for the battery and auto radiator.  High sodium levels can contribute to corrosion and could effect the chemistry in the battery.  Distilled water, available at many grocery stores, usually is priced at less than one dollar per gallon, making it the preferred choice for both applications.

Best Regards,

Doug Logan

Water Quality

Douglas Logan

I can answer questions relating to most aspects of water quality. For example, is a particular water suitable for drinking or a specific industrial use? How can a particular water be treated to make it suitable for use? What is the impact of different levels of constituents in the water? I can recommend the most efficient and cost effective method to purify or desalinate water. I can recommend treatments to prevent corrosion, scale and deposits in water handling equipment.

Over 25 years in water treatment, including R&D, technical service, sales and management. Three patents and more than 20 publications.

SPE Journal, Desalination, Materials Protection and Performance, Corrosion