Water Well and Pump Repair/well pump

Question
My well pump is 12 years old.I expect it to give up the ghost soon. I talked to a man that has put a top well pump on his well and said it lasts as long as his submersible did. I have become disabled since installing my pump, and I am not looking forward to pulling it to replace it. Why? Because the pump is sitting at 160'. Will a top mount pump work for a deep well? The pump I am using is 3/4hp. What should me replacement pump be?

Answer
Submersible pumps are far more efficient than jet pumps.  The fact that your pump is hanging at 160 feet tells me that you have a very deep water level.  A shallow well jet pump can lift water a max of 25'.  A deep well jet pump with the jet in the well poops out at just over a hundred feet.  So even if it did work, you wouldn't be happy with the volume and pressure.  I would stick with the sub no matter what.

Water Well and Pump Repair

Robert Tabor