Water Well and Pump Repair/Well cap height?

Hi, I recently had a new driveway put in, my biggest reason was so we could have a turnaround at the top, unfortunately this involved paving around the wellhead. I realize that putting in heavy protection Before the driveway went in was the best option but unless I was willing to wait till July the company needed to pave before I had a chance. So, my question, is it possible to cut down this existing wellhead to maybe 4 or 5 inches high? or does it need to be a certain height out of the ground to function properly? Ideally it would be 4 inches "or less" high and easier to protect. Here's a photo to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Thanks for any help

Since the 60's Michigans code for wells said that all new drilled wells had to terminate at least 12" above ground.  This was supposed to keep contaminated water from getting in.  You can shorten it as much as you like, it won't hurt anything as long as you don't let the driveway flood above the top of the pipe.  You might have to hire a driller to do this for you as it's not an easy task.

Water Well and Pump Repair

Robert Tabor

I can answer any question related to Water Wells, Water Pumps and Water Filtration.

From age 13 to age 66

High School