Water Well and Pump Repair/shallow well connection

Question
QUESTION: HI, I recently moved into a house that has a 1.25 inch point well.  It's 15 feet deep and there is water at 11 feet.  it was used to irrigate about an acre of farm land on the property more than 10 years ago.  I'd like to get a pump and tank on it to fill a pool and then use to irrigate the lawn. The farm land is grass now.  My plan is to get a 1/2 HP pump, and a 5 gal expansion tank for pressure.  Am I on the right track?  Beyond this, the part I'm confused about is what I need to use to connect to the pump.  I should have a foot valve in there.  I'm wondering what I should use in the pipe to get the water up into the pump.  a 1 inch pipe inserted in it with a foot valve?  .75 inch?  Googling for info hasn't worked for me

Thank you
Jay

ANSWER: Hi Jay,

The tank isn't for pressure, it's for storage to keep the pump from cycling too much.  In your case, a small tank the size of a basketball would work as long as you set the pressure switch high enough to keep the pump motor running while your using water.

You don't put droppipe in an 1-1/4" well.  You plumb the pump directly to the well with an elbow and a check valve.  The tank can be used like a priming plug by screwing it directly into the top of the pump.
This link takes you to the pump:  http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/shop/jet-pumps-deep-and-shallow/sw-50-1-2-hp-shallo
This link takes you to the tank:  http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/shop/bladder-tanks-by-zilmet/zhp-5-2-1-gallon-in-li

If your well produces water or not isn't clear, so if you want to save some money in the event of a dry well or one with a plugged well screen, you can buy a Pitcher Pump to test pump it.  Link:  http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/shop/bladder-tanks-by-zilmet/zhp-5-2-1-gallon-in-li

If the well doesn't produce, you will know after using the hand pump.  If you knock down a new one, or pull the screen and change it, you will need the hand pump to pump it off.

These links are all from my website, so feel free to look around.

QUESTION: Thanks so much for the quick response. Great info. So I shouldn't trust that the 4 feet of water means it'll produce the gpm I want?  I should pick up a pitcher pump before doing anything else?  I was thinking I'd get the electric pump and tank, hook it up and see what it produces.  If it doesn't provide enough supply, I'd likely put another one in.  If that's the case, would I just put another one in or can the old one be removed and a new one put in it's place?  I came across your site in my searches, btw.

Answer
Four feet isn't a lot of water, but I've seen a lot of shallow wells with not much water pump like crazy.  A good rule of thumb is to look for 10 to 15 gpm.  That's about all you can get from one.  If your down below 5 gpm,  The screen is probably getting plugged.  

Yes, you can pull it and replace the screen.  It's not easy to do, but can be done.  We used a railroad spike puller, a 4X4 about 8" long, a chain and pipe wrench to pull them.  The 4X4 was the fulcrum, the chain attached to the pipe and puller and the pipe wrench went above the chain to keep it from slipping.  By pulling up on the handle of the pipe wrench, the jaws teeth would bite into the pipe.  If you do this, don't accept anything but a good slot or gauze screen.  Big box stores stuff is junk and really slows flow down.

You can pump one off with the jet pump, I just said that in case you were not sure if you were going to use the well.  If your going to repair it or put in another, you will then need the pump and tank.

Water Well and Pump Repair

Robert Tabor