Water Well and Pump Repair/sulfur removal

Question
QUESTION: My well of 31 years developed a sulfur problem about 5 years ago. I've finally decided to do something about it am familiar with the outside aerator but wonder what your opinion is about a non chemical system that can be used indoors that regenerates a resin every few days using air injection to convert the H2s to sulfur that is then backwashed periodically. Budgetwater offers such a system. Comments?

ANSWER: I offer the system also; but before I bought anything I would check my water.  

Here in Florida we have 2", 3", 4" and 5" domestic wells.  The two inch and three inch wells were drilled over 40 years ago for the most part.  Most wells in my area are at least 50 foot deep.  At around 20 feet there is surface water that is mostly rain water which is acidic and can over a period of years eat holes in the galvanized or black iron casing.  This allows the surface water to run into the deeper aquifer which in effect is now what your pump is sending to your home.  If this is the case, you would be better off drilling a new well because most of that surface water has a PH of 6 or less.  And it's not the safest water to ingest or bathe in.  You cold buy an inexpensive swimming pool test kit that tests for chlorine and PH to see if your PH has dropped below 7.2 which is where most good well water is.

If your well still has a good PH reading, I would still be curious why after this many years it started smelling bad.

To answer your question, if your well water is safe still, the system I would recommend uses a Clack head and several different types of mineral that removes the gas from sulfur which is what you smell.  The gas is backwashed out each night and would not leave any odor in your home.

QUESTION: My well is 2" 50 ft with a ph of 6.8, iron 2ppm sulfur 1ppm flow rate of 7g/minute. The toilet which is on a salt softener acquires  a black film every few days. Since you offer this equipment what do you have to solve the problem?

Answer
With a PH of 6.8 your iron filter will not work as well as it would with a PH of 7 or higher.  The unit I sell can remove either sulfur or iron or sulfur and iron.  The sulfur/iron unit simply has more mineral and a much larger mineral tank.  There is no unit that will remove the black staining you get from sulfur.  It can't be filtered out.  Only the gas which is the odor you encounter is removed.

Do you have an iron filter now?  If not, with 2 parts per million I would go for the unit that removes both iron and sulfur gas.

Water Well and Pump Repair

Robert Tabor