Wayne, John/John Wayne's walk

Steven wrote at 2010-02-05 11:58:48
While attending University of Southern California.  Duke played football, during his spohmore year, he broke his ankle.  That ended his playing days.  One night, he stated to his partner in a cattle ranch, Alex Madonna (San Luis Obispo, CA), 'to some degree that injury may have helped develop my walk.'

J. P. wrote at 2016-01-08 04:25:42
It's no Hollywood mystery and he didn't develop it as a signature walk.  I know why Wayne moved the way he does because I suffer from the same condition - scoliosis; curvature of the spine.  I was mawked from an early age about my peculair walk and about the fact that one shoulder was lower than the other.  In John Waynes case it became his macho walk.  Since I'm only 5'5", I'm called arrogant.  Perception is measured by inches.

Wayne, John

Paul Rabe

I have seen ALMOST every film with an appearance by The Duke, made since 1940, and a few dozen of those before then. If it's a film with him, I've most likely seen it, have an opinion on it, and can try to answer questions about it. I have no usable expertise for films not starring John Wayne. I know absolutely NOTHING about Wayne memorabilia. If a question is not about a FILM with Wayne in it, then I'm not the one to ask.

I saw my first film in which Wayne stars almost fifty years ago. Since then, I have seen over 120 films where he makes an appearance.

Master of Arts, University of Texas