Wayne, John/John Wayne and Casa Grande

lbriick wrote at 2009-03-08 20:45:10
John Wayne did in fact own a ranch in the Casa Grande area.  Annually they had a big livestock sale around Thanksgiving.  I can't tell you the name but I can tell you I went there with my family when I was a little girl.  We saw the Duke himself and ate with his ranch hands.  I can still remember my grandmother talking to him. She also still has the sale book from the event.

Harry Blackman wrote at 2010-01-25 17:38:37
There was a feedyard just west of Casa Grande called

26 bar that was connected to John Wayne's 26 Bar ranch in Springerville Ariz.

Denny wrote at 2010-07-18 06:55:43
To add to the answer already listed, I had a friend who passed away just 1 1/2 years ago.  He was a prominent businessman in the Casa Grande area and lived his entire life there.  He told me that John Wayne also liked the area, & was a partner in a ranch near there.  He loved to stay at the  Francisco Grande Resort (as mentioned) as did the many major league ballplayers when the  San Francisco Giants had spring training in the area each year.  This was back in the 60's when Willie Mays, Willie McCovey and other Giants greats were active players.

My friend also told me that John Wayne loved and always stayed in one of the upper floors of the hotel.  For the life of me I can't remember which floor, however.  Anyway, the hotel used to allow Mr. Wayne to sit on his balcony and plink away at targets down on the golf course with his rifle.  Yes, you heard right, with his rifle.  My friend was in his early 20's at the time and never told me anything that wasn't true.  I believed him and I think you should too!

Jane Smith wrote at 2012-08-05 23:35:33
Robert L Moore Owned a ranch with John Wayne around Casa Grande area.

tucsonbeach wrote at 2012-08-19 03:42:50
The ranch he was part owner to was the 26 Bar Ranch, formerly known as the Smith ranch.  He and Louis Johnson acquired that ranch from Harold Arp.  The 26 Bar Ranch is northwest  of Stanfield, Arizona at the intersection of Miller Road and White and Parker Rd., southeast of Maricopa, Arizona.

Terri wrote at 2013-02-11 02:42:22
My mom was the secretary at 26 bar ranch in Maricopa until 1970. We went to all the cattle auctions and have the catalouges signed by John Wayne, I also had mini cotton bales signed by John Wayne. My mom took a few business trips and has signed pictures from the Mcklintock set with his familey, and 1 of Hondo also. Don't know if any of it is worth anything now. He did stay at the Francisco Grande when he was out there. Its gone now but was a swanky place back in the day! He was good friends with Louis Johnson and business partners in the ranches (the other was in Springerville). They raised herefords.

Rick Collinsworth wrote at 2014-01-07 03:26:47
I know for a fact that John Wayne was a part owner of the Bar 26 Ranch in Stanfield, AZ. I was the route driver for the Coca-Cola

Company out of Phoenix, AZ and went to this ranch every two weeks to re-stock their Coke machines. I even traded horses with one of the ranches employees. I lived at the time in a double wide trailer on a 3 1/3 acre (Ranchette) within a few miles of the Bar 26 Ranch. You can believe that John Wayne was a part owner of this ranch in the early 70's.

Lisa wrote at 2014-02-20 23:44:11
John Wayne in fact was owner of the ranch near Stanfield, az. My Dad was a mobile home salesman back in the 70s and in fact had dinner with the duke himself and sold him some mobiles for his ranch hands. I was about 5 back then and remember Dad talking about it all the time.

JoAnn wrote at 2016-02-29 00:00:13
In the answer from "Terri wrote 2013- "  it is mistakenly stayed by Terri ths

at the Francisco Grande is "gone now". This is not true. The hotel and golf course is still in operation today, on the outskirts of Casa Grande, AZ. The hotel bar is named " Duke's" in honor of John Wayne. Many photos and western mementos of John Wayne grace the walls of the bar and hotel, in his memory.  

Wayne, John

Paul Rabe