Wayne, John/Wayne left-handed?

Ron Prasuhn wrote at 2009-10-25 08:37:27
In referenceto the question..."Is/Was John Wayne left-handed?" Answer: No. He was right-handed. Many may get this idea because of all (or many) of the replica guns (pistols) being sold through T.V. specials, the Internet, etc. all show a pistol with the left pistol gip engraved (and only the left grip) so that the only way the engraving could be seen if worn in a holster, would be for it to be worn on the left hip. This is a manufacturing process for copyright and other 'royalty' reasons, I believe.

So the 'bottom-line' answer is ... John Wayne was Right-Handed. (Watch his movies...his pistol is always on he right hip).

praire dog wrote at 2010-03-02 05:29:00
I belive he was right handed, Not to be picky but I to was going to get the holster gun set. But the whole thing is so phoney there was no gun made with the loading gate on the left side of the model shown.

Mike Hicks wrote at 2016-04-17 23:20:28
John Wayne always wore his pistol on his right and fired rifles right-handed.

traindrivingfool wrote at 2016-06-23 02:00:16
I am watching "The Comancheros" and Wayne fired his 92 Winchester

left handed from the back of a wagon. It happens in the last few minutes of the movie. He then shoots from the right side. Director's whim,I suppose.  

Wayne, John

Paul Rabe

I have seen ALMOST every film with an appearance by The Duke, made since 1940, and a few dozen of those before then. If it's a film with him, I've most likely seen it, have an opinion on it, and can try to answer questions about it. I have no usable expertise for films not starring John Wayne. I know absolutely NOTHING about Wayne memorabilia. If a question is not about a FILM with Wayne in it, then I'm not the one to ask.

I saw my first film in which Wayne stars almost fifty years ago. Since then, I have seen over 120 films where he makes an appearance.

Master of Arts, University of Texas