Wayne, John/Song sang by John Wayne

lrcrnemtp wrote at 2011-07-08 09:11:40
John wayne put out a album called americia why i love her i can not tell you the year

Pippa wrote at 2012-02-20 14:02:32
Rooster sings "I finded her, I finded her, up her belly and down her back, <mumble> every crack...  <mumble>"  at the start of the film just before the judge gives him the assignment of bringing in Hawke and his gang.

The closest I've ever been able to find is a similar lyric used in the film 'Charley Varrick' where the gangster "Molly" sings 'I painted her, I painted her, up her belly and down her back, every crevice and every crack", but I can't find any provenance or any further lyrics.  It may have originally been a sailor's song referring to a figurehead, or from the bordello or burlesque industries

Pippa wrote at 2012-02-20 14:19:17
Additionally, later in the movie, after drinking corn whisky, Rooster sings the second part you mention: "I promised her, I promised her, a ring and a wedding, after the beddin' <mumble> and I left her then and I'm free again, 'cause I never promised her when..."  I've never been able to find any reference to these lyrics anywhere.

NedPepper wrote at 2012-06-06 13:35:03
The Movie in which he sings that song is NOT True Grit (1969). It is from the movie "ROOSTER COGBURN" released six years later; in 1975 and co-stars Katherine Hepburn.

Hunt wrote at 2012-09-29 20:33:06
The movie is rooster cog burn. I too am looking for the lyrics,

Shof wrote at 2013-06-11 13:50:07
I was just watching the movie Best of the Badmen. It's a 1951 movie.  I heard a piano playing a tune that sounded like it should go with this song we're talking about.  Maybe a clue.  

BooRadley wrote at 2013-11-06 19:35:26
I painted her, i painted her up the belly & down the back in every hole & every crack i painted her i painted her I painted me ol tomata in every bloomin way

(A Tom is slang for a prostitute)

Richo2906 wrote at 2014-04-17 20:51:45
As sung by my father and ex-matelot, and uncle ex-Desert Rat. So I guess a Second World War song.

"I painted her, I painted her, up her middle, down her back,

Every hole and every crack.

I painted down the Drury Lane, I painted her old tomato over and over again"  

Kenny Holbrook wrote at 2014-05-29 17:21:17
"I Painted her" was a song that my Grandfather always used to sing at Family Christmas Parties when I was a little boy. I am 70 now. He picked it up from "The Metropolitan" Music Hall, Paddington Green, London in his youth where it was sung by a Mr Billy Boyd. The song was considered 'risque' even then. I recorded him singing it on an old 'reel-to-reel' Tape Recorder. I still have it. One of his other 'offerings' was "Strolling round the Town, knocking the people down"!

Steven wrote at 2014-06-21 09:41:47
In the mid 80s, I used to go to a boozer in South London that did karaoke and there was this old boy who used to do his turn of old music hall songs without any backing track. The song he did that has stuck in my memory was 'I painted her, I painted her, up the front and down the back, every crevice and every crack, old Clark Gable laid her on the table but I-I painted her".

Kenny Holbrook: could I encourage you to transfer your reel-to-reel recordings to digital and make them available on the internet? These songs simply  disappear if we don't curate them!

Woody wrote at 2014-12-16 11:46:11
There is a reference to this song in one of Spike Milligans war memoirs (can't remember which one) he was in Tunisia and Italy in WWII

A bluejacket wrote at 2016-10-12 02:25:29
It's a late 19th century cockney song, which my grandfather learned from his grandmother, a madame of whore house in South London. It's origins past that I don't know, but it was popular during ww2

Wayne, John

Paul Rabe

I have seen ALMOST every film with an appearance by The Duke, made since 1940, and a few dozen of those before then. If it's a film with him, I've most likely seen it, have an opinion on it, and can try to answer questions about it. I have no usable expertise for films not starring John Wayne. I know absolutely NOTHING about Wayne memorabilia. If a question is not about a FILM with Wayne in it, then I'm not the one to ask.

I saw my first film in which Wayne stars almost fifty years ago. Since then, I have seen over 120 films where he makes an appearance.

Master of Arts, University of Texas