Wayne, John/Wayne shot in the back

ManMountain wrote at 2011-06-09 03:55:58
The movie you're asking about is El Dorado. It co-stars Robert Mitchum and James Caan. Michele Carey played Joey (Josephine) McDonald and she ambushed Cole Thornton (Wayne) because he had killed her brother. The bullet lodegd near his spine and would cause paralysis on his gun hand side (right) from time to time until the newer surgeon could remove it.

rlehto wrote at 2011-06-24 15:24:51
You may want to check out the following answer

rlehto wrote at 2011-06-24 15:42:55
Legendary gunslinger Cole Thornton (John Wayne) is back in the town of El Dorado, called in by shady rancher Bart Jason (Ed Asner) to settle a few things with the McDonald family. Thorntonís old friend, sheriff J.P. Harrah (Robert Mitchum) stops to pay his old buddy a visit, informing him that the whole arrangement isnít kosher, and that it would inevitably pit them against each other. Wisely, Thornton passes the job, but still manages to receive a crippling, wounded by a headstrong member of the McDonald family (played the beautiful Michele Carey) in the process.

Jeff wrote at 2011-06-27 18:53:25
I think you're talking about the film "El Dorado," where Cole Thornton (played by Wayne is shot by  as Josephine 'Joey' MacDonald (Michele Carey). The bouts of paralysis he suffers later - from the bullet remaining lodged in his back - have a role in the story's development. Hope this helps!

JayB wrote at 2011-08-23 16:02:40
The movie is El Dorado

The girl shoots John Wayne because he shot her brother(in self defense) the bullet is lodged too close to his spine to remove causing bouts of semi paralysis

husker4life wrote at 2011-10-27 15:27:22
I believe the name of the movie you are searching for is El Dorado (1966)

Ray wrote at 2011-12-04 05:49:54
The answer to this question is El Dorado Co-star was Robert Mitchum and James Caan. He was shot by Michell Carey (Joy McDonald)

TowerGuy wrote at 2011-12-04 15:58:01
The movie you're referring to is "El Dorado" with Robert Mitchum; it was made in 1966 and was always one of my favorites.

rt wrote at 2012-03-09 13:34:03
the movie was ElDorado ... he was shot by the girl and the bullet lodged next to the spine ... Josephine McDonald was the character who shot him.  Two co stars in the movie were James Caan and Robert Mitchum.  Hohn Wayne played Cole Thornton.

unkwonw wrote at 2012-05-03 03:10:22
how can you be stumped, if you're a john wayne fan at all, you should know the answer. it's El Dorado. Joey Mcdonald shoots Cole Thorton in the back.

dan wrote at 2012-05-23 00:51:55
El Dorado

When Cole rides near the river and get shot by Josephine MacDonald

Buffulo wrote at 2012-11-24 21:54:00
Hi The movie is Eldorado and the womans name is Michele Carey.

Susan wrote at 2015-01-01 04:26:17
El dorado. With Robert Mitchum. The girl was Josephine MacDonald played by Michele Carey

Wayne, John

Paul Rabe

I have seen ALMOST every film with an appearance by The Duke, made since 1940, and a few dozen of those before then. If it's a film with him, I've most likely seen it, have an opinion on it, and can try to answer questions about it. I have no usable expertise for films not starring John Wayne. I know absolutely NOTHING about Wayne memorabilia. If a question is not about a FILM with Wayne in it, then I'm not the one to ask.

I saw my first film in which Wayne stars almost fifty years ago. Since then, I have seen over 120 films where he makes an appearance.

Master of Arts, University of Texas