Web Design/Creating a website

Question
Hello,
I want to start a blog where I can post my poetry and short stories, as well as interact with whomever visits the page. I want different sections on the site, like an about me section or a book of the month section. The problem is I don’t know where to start. I tried “Blogger”, but they can cancel your blog if they see fit. I would like to purchase a domain so the page will be completely mine and so I can copyright my work. I just don’t know where to go from there. I’ve also looked into software that is supposed to be helpful like, “Web Designer 9”, but what I want seems to be too thorough for something like that. I thought of hiring a professional, but that is too expensive for me. What should I do? I know my way around computers to a certain extent. Is there anything I can do that is not too complicated?

Answer
Hi Brittany - great question.

You're right, there are any number of "Free" or social media sites that you can post your content to, but all have the right to censor, delete, etc., etc., so you're thinking right in buying a domain and self-publishing your work.

I prefer the simplicity of Wordpress for my websites, and there are any number of different themes to change how the site looks to suit your taste and application.  You can host a wordpress website nearly anywhere - just google "wordpress hosting".  I've used Godaddy with very good results, and their support is very good.  For your purposes, an economy hosting plan would be sufficient - I think it's less than $7/mo.  

A .com domain could set you back $14 or so, but you can search "Godaddy Promo Codes" to get a deal on that as well, or go with one of the specials like .us or .info

Keeping your domain and hosting in one spot should minimize support issues, but you can certainly buy a domain from company A and hosting from company B - you'll just need a little help setting it up.

I hope this helps - Ken

Web Design

Ken Ivey