Web Design/Thank You URL

Hi Ken,

Can you please help me?

I'm using Aweber on my WordPress site so that once a person has entered their email address on my site they will be redirected to a thank you web page URL.

What I wanted to know was 1) how can I make that web page on my site hidden from Google and 2) if that web page has a link to download a PDF where should that PDF be stored?  I currently have it in my media library in WordPress but I don't think it is safe being in there!

I've searched all over Google and I think I must be using bad phrases because I really can't find any suitable answers.

Thank you.

Hi Lisa, thanks for your question.

To address issue #1, you can edit your robots.txt file to tell search engines to ignore your download page so it doesn't get indexed.  You might also consider password protecting it (one of Wordpress's publishing options).  To learn more about the importance and use of robots.txt, see http://www.robotstxt.org.  Wordpress also has plugins to help you manage your robots.txt file.  Also, consider a plugin for hiding your download page from Wordpress menus.  In "Add New" plugins, search for "hide page".  You'll see many options.

For #2, if you do a good job of hiding your page (#1), you won't have to worry much.  You can also use robots.txt to hide your media folder (or just that file).  

If you're really worried about it, consider using a third-party fulfillment service that offers digital downloads like Digital River.  (not an endorsement, I've just downloaded things from them before).

I hope this helps - have a great day, and good luck!

Web Design

Ken Ivey

I've been developing websites for almost 20 years. If you have questions like these, I can help! Should I try this myself or hire a professional? What tools do I need? How do I sell products online? How do I make money with my website? Can I create a website without buying expensive software? How do I design a website FAST? How do I market my website? Is a BLOG a website? How do I put video on my website? What is website hosting? When will search engines find my website? OK, I've found a site I like - but now what? Can I make my website a subscription site?

I have over 20 years of practical experience with web-related issues, and some military computer training. I've worked for a computer manufacturer, and own a small technology company specializing in web-design, hosting, and internet media production. I am the webmaster of several sites, and e-newsletter editor for Rotary District 6760 which is comprised of 65 clubs throughout middle Tennessee.

I'd like to say a diploma from a revered educational facility hangs on my wall, and perhaps someday it will. In reality, everything I know has been self-taught, much of it done so in the hallowed halls of that venerable institution called "The School of Hard Knocks". (I have taken courses at a local community college, and received military computer programming training as well.)