Web Design/Login/Registration in Wordpress websites

I have just begun using wordpress and was looking to achieve something that is typical of websites requiring a registration and sign in in order to be viewed/used e.g. Facebook, Twitter etc.

The following are what I am trying to achieve:-
1. Create the home page as a user login/registration page.
2. Not show any other pages or content until the user has signed in.
I would like to know if there are any plug-ins that will allow me to achieve the above-mentioned points. Also, I would like to hide the menu that will display all the pages until the visitor logs-in into my website.

ANSWER: Hi Ashish.

I am not aware of any plugins that do exactly what you describe, however you could achieve this effect by using a "maintenance mode" plugin.  Most of them allow you to set the text that shows up until a user logs in.  I'm not sure this would be the best solution however.

Have you thought of using a plugin to make your site a "Membership" site?  There are lots of plugins for that, but most WILL show the content that you have not marked as being "Members-Only", so it won't be the blank page you're looking for.

You might consider hiring a coder to create a page that only displays the Wordpress Login routine.  It should be relatively simple to do.

I hope this helps.

QUESTION: Firstly, thanks a lot for replying soon. I explored the option of membership site plugins and they seem to be serving my purpose (though they don't customize the menu, but they make a prior check of the registration whenever a post/page is explored that's for members only). However, most of the plugins I came across are for making paid memberships only, whereas I want only free memberships on my site ( and thus no need for payment options like PayPal, credit card details etc.). I would thus like to know if there are any plug ins that allow the creation of free membership plans as well.

Thank you once again for your quick response and guidance.

I agree, most membership sites have options for payment - but you may be able to set the cost of membership to 0.

I have found a plugin that allows you to restrict content to registered members only.  You might find other similar options.  Here it is:

Have a great day - Ken

Web Design

Ken Ivey

I've been developing websites for almost 20 years. If you have questions like these, I can help! Should I try this myself or hire a professional? What tools do I need? How do I sell products online? How do I make money with my website? Can I create a website without buying expensive software? How do I design a website FAST? How do I market my website? Is a BLOG a website? How do I put video on my website? What is website hosting? When will search engines find my website? OK, I've found a site I like - but now what? Can I make my website a subscription site?

I have over 20 years of practical experience with web-related issues, and some military computer training. I've worked for a computer manufacturer, and own a small technology company specializing in web-design, hosting, and internet media production. I am the webmaster of several sites, and e-newsletter editor for Rotary District 6760 which is comprised of 65 clubs throughout middle Tennessee.

I'd like to say a diploma from a revered educational facility hangs on my wall, and perhaps someday it will. In reality, everything I know has been self-taught, much of it done so in the hallowed halls of that venerable institution called "The School of Hard Knocks". (I have taken courses at a local community college, and received military computer programming training as well.)