Web Design/Web Hosting

Question
Hi, I am planning on launching a site where users can come test exams online.  I don't know how many users will be accessing the site at one time, but I want to make a smooth experience for the user. I was wondering how to judge the speed or bandwidth of different servers and make sure I get the fastest possible server for my money.  Any tips?

Answer
You're planning on launching a site. That's great, but we have to know is it a business site (meant to generate revenue somehow) or is it a hobby site just for fun? The answer defines the differences in terms of what you may need.

Since we don't know how many visitors will access the site (and we have to know how similar such sites generate revenue if that is important to you, how they promote their online business best, how they advertise, and what their SEO is as it relates to what they offer), the easiest way to proceed is simply get professional hosting through GoDaddy, (which is the largest hosting provider on Earth) and simply ask them for greater bandwidth support when or if you come to the point that you need increased bandwidth. Right now, worrying about bandwidth is putting the cart in front of the horse.

If you're thinking of having some kind of online educational site, keep in mind that the market for such sites right now is huge, with sites such as Udemy.com, and literally thousands of other exam and educational sites seeking more of the consumer market.

Good luck!

Web Design

David Somerfleck