Web Design/Student Interview for Project

Question
Hello Mr. Ivey. I am a student working on my senior capstone project in digital advertising. In order to broaden my spectrum, I would like to ask you a few questions about your experience and on content creation.

1. What education and experiences did you have that prepared you for a career in content creation?

2. What is/are the biggest challenge(s) for content creators to overcome?

3. With more budgets going towards digital, there is a good deal of opportunity in the field. How tough is the competition compared to the opportunities.

4. What advice would you give to someone who is entering the content creation field to get an advantage over the competition?

5. How can a web based business set itself apart from its competition online? (Dating sites, retailers, blogs, etc.)

6. What is the most important thing that you have learned working in content creation?

Thank you for your time and your help.

Answer
Hi Matthew - I've given some thought to your interview, and this is how I'd answer:

Question 1 what education and experiences did you have that prepared you for a career in content creation?

Unfortunately when I began there were no educational experiences that I could use. Pretty much everything I did was trial and error.

Question 2 what is, or are, the biggest challenges for content creators to overcome?

I believe the biggest challenge will be coming up with timely and relevant content that converts.

Question 3 with more budgets going towards digital, there's a good deal of opportunity in the field. How tough is the competition compared to the opportunities?

The opportunities are great, there is no question. I believe the toughest competition will be in the mind of the buyer because they've been sold a bill of goods for many years now and are highly skeptical of online marketing.

Question 4 what advice would you give to someone who is entering the content creation field to get an advantage over the competition?

The best way to gain an advantage over your competition is with proof and testimonials. If you have no proof, you must create it by creating a website, content, and show results - in other words converted sales. If you do have testimonials or case studies, leverage them for maximum effect.

The easiest way would be to find out what people want and then give it to them - in the case of dating sites you might use a metric such as membership signups in a certain amount of time as social proof that your product or service is superior.

Question 6 what is the most important thing that you have learned working in content creation?

The most important thing I've learned is that you have to be flexible in content creation and tailor it to your target market. For instance, some markets consume videos much more readily than they would a blog post. Again, find out what they want and then give it to them.

I hope this helps, Ken.

Web Design

Ken Ivey