Web Design/SEO for new website

Question
Dear Sir,

Please suggest optimal way to select keywords (for new site) while considering the following:

1) Generally, the keywords that have "high avg. monthly search volume" also have good competition.

2) If I select low competition keywords (which I have to, in order to put my site on top or at-least on first page of google search result) then how much should be the "avg. monthly search volume" say for eg.

1900 or 3000 (global) is sufficient for new site? Later I can switch to better keywords.

Thanks in advance.
Lakhbir

Answer
Collage
Collage  

Logo
Logo  
At Sudden Impact Web Design, we work with companies every day who want help with SEO placement, Google search ranking, and even training for staffers; but to set up SEO for a website requires fairly extensive research in local Google SEO rankings, competition, whether or not there is a budget (and then if it's a realistic one) for Google Adwords and pay-per-click campaigns. Most small business websites have no SEO at all, no money saved for Google Adwords, and most small business websites don't work on mobile devices (or not well). So it comes down to organization first and foremost.

Why you would want low competition keywords might be to establish a specific niche market that others are not exploiting or taking advantage of. But even if you do that, after a few weeks (if not sooner) you'll find your site going down in rankings, even if no one else is competitive simply because of the Google algorithm updates every quarter or so. Typically companies with deeper pockets and greater budgets for marketing simply do better for obvious reasons.

There is no way to know what the average volume would be for your site without analyzing your site, its social media marketing integration, its level of content marketing (blogging) and distribution, and many other factors contributing to that. I'd love to tell you that it's easy and simple to give you a number, but it would be impossible to say that and be truthful. No one could give you a number or even a guess without sitting down and spending several hours researching, and even then it would be extrapolation upon possibilities and guesswork.

Without a budget for Google Adwords and PPC, the best thing to do is research local area openings for a niche marketing (as you are doing or will do), and do your utmost to meet people in the material "real" world and network until you have enough money to invest in Google Adwords - and many business owners have staff that perform marketing and promotion for them both online and offline and in my opinion unless you have several thousand dollars per month to put into Google Adwords and PPC campaigns monthly, it's best to save and go for networking, forming alliances with complementary businesses and just have the best website possible that works on mobile, has decent niche SEO placement, and regular scheduled blogging and information and resources that will make consumers/clients/customers want to visit it more than once.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit.

David at
Sudden Impact Web Design

Web Design

David Somerfleck