Web Design/Website redesign

I am in charge of a non-profit organization that needs to redesign all or part of our site.  I have been having problems finding someone to do it.  Either they can't handle the job or they want to redesign and host and "own" the site design (most of the problems that we are encountering).  While we don't have a lot of money as a non-profit we can pay for work but can't find someone to do this without "owning" the site once done.  What would you suggest that we do to find a designer?  Once designed we want to make monthly changes via Microsoft Expressions Web for web updates.  Thank you.

Hi Steve - I'm going to recommend visiting meetup.com and search for a local meetup of web designers.  Most groups meet at least once a month, so make a point to visit a meeting - then during the meeting introduce yourself to the group and explain your situation.   You might get some good feedback on Expression Web.

As far as site ownership - just secure your domain and buy hosting that is compatible with MS Expression Web.  

Personal note:  I was very disappointed with Microsoft when they stopped supporting FrontPage in favor of Expression Web - essentially forcing me to redesign several sites - or let them languish - so I haven't used EW.)  Now that I think of it, I don't know anyone who is using it.  Haven't even heard it mentioned in years.

Once you own your domain and hosting, just give your designer access to your control panel and you're all set.

Hope this helps - Ken  

Web Design

Ken Ivey

I've been developing websites for almost 20 years. If you have questions like these, I can help! Should I try this myself or hire a professional? What tools do I need? How do I sell products online? How do I make money with my website? Can I create a website without buying expensive software? How do I design a website FAST? How do I market my website? Is a BLOG a website? How do I put video on my website? What is website hosting? When will search engines find my website? OK, I've found a site I like - but now what? Can I make my website a subscription site?

I have over 20 years of practical experience with web-related issues, and some military computer training. I've worked for a computer manufacturer, and own a small technology company specializing in web-design, hosting, and internet media production. I am the webmaster of several sites, and e-newsletter editor for Rotary District 6760 which is comprised of 65 clubs throughout middle Tennessee.

I'd like to say a diploma from a revered educational facility hangs on my wall, and perhaps someday it will. In reality, everything I know has been self-taught, much of it done so in the hallowed halls of that venerable institution called "The School of Hard Knocks". (I have taken courses at a local community college, and received military computer programming training as well.)